Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 00:10   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Stuck bronze seacock.

I have been doing ALOT of work lately and things are bound to happen.

I was cutting a fiberglass hole to mount a chartplotter and my Sink in the galley is right beneath it. So it got a lot of fiberglass shavings in there.

I stupidly rinsed them down the drain. It promptly clogged.

I disconnected the pipe and poured out a lot of fiberglass slurry from the hose into a bucket and the seacock and thru hull drain great now.

However, in an effort to get it flowing before I removed the hose, I tried
Opening and closing the seacock, just to see if that was where the obstruction was. It wasn't, but I think I got shavings in there and it is frozen open now,
What can I do? Someone said pour oils down the sink, will that lubricate it? I'm not able to put to much leverage on it at all because it's behind the engine and at a weird angle.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 00:52   #2
cruiser

Re: Stuck bronze seacock.

Don't do anything forceful to the seacock with the boat in the water, unless you're wearing a swimsuit and have a bung in hand. Sometimes, you can put some grease on the end of a long thin paint brush or screwdriver, remove the seacock handle, and use a spanner (wrench) to gently move the attachment nut back and forth to get a little play in it. Go under the boat and lubricate the partially closed seacock with the grease via the skin fitting. Then gently open and close the fitting to work in the grease.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:13   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Is it the type with a tapered bung? If so, loosen the nut and LIGHTLY tap it while trying to move it. It might be a good idea for you to get Nigel Calders book,
Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 09:54   #4

Boat: csy 37

Shop vac. I once cleaned out a pretty disgusting pipeline with one.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote