Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 15:03   #1

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
Stove Burner Leak

I need some advice on how to repair a leak in my kerosene burner.

It had been leaking through the opening where the fuel ignites, so I cleaned the crud (old crusty graphite packing) out and put in new packing which stopped the original leak. Somehow in the process (four attempts) I must have put too much force on the burner and caused a stress fracture in the tube where the fuel vaporizes. I put some JB weld on it and let it cure overnight with a heater nearby; it held fine under pressure.

Next day, I fired it up and oh, it burned beautifully! Too bad the JB couldn't take the heat and crumbled then chipped off.

Anybody know of an epoxy that can take higher temperatures? (JB says up to 500˚F) I am not sure what the burner metal is. New burners are out of stock everywhere or I'd just replace it.

Oh, and please don't tell me to toss the thing and get propane. I know all the arguments, but still want to try to save this old sweetie. I like the kero. It cook real good and no go boom.
Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:05   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Stove Burner Leak

what make is it?
Old 10-04-2011, 15:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
what make is it?
The stove is an old Hillerange, and the burners are Patria. I got the parts for it from Base Camp online.

base-camp.co.uk
Old 10-04-2011, 15:17   #4
Scurvy Dog

You need a new burner.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:21   #5

No epoxy will work and it gets too hot for regular 50/50 or lead-free solder to hold.

These burners can be re-brazed in some cases. Problem is most welding shops won’t have a clue. Find someone that does big pieces of jewelry.

There are some burners out there now if you look. You will always need to carry a spare on these because they have a habit of catastrophic failure internally in addition to the valves and jets going south and needing attention.

What ever you do, be very careful with the threads where the burner assembly meets the base. Real easy to screw up the treads if over torqued.

Um saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 15:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
You need a new burner.
I know, but I can't find one available at this time. I need to eat. The raw food diet is getting old. I'm thinking of applying JB Weld again, but not using that burner. It might hold under pressure without the heat. I have two other burners I can use on the stove. At least I wouldn't have a smelly puddle to clean up twice a day. sigh.
Old 10-04-2011, 15:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post
No epoxy will work and it gets too hot for regular 50/50 or lead-free solder to hold.

These burners can be re-brazed in some cases. Problem is most welding shops won’t have a clue. Find someone that does big pieces of jewelry.

There are some burners out there now if you look. You will always need to carry a spare on these because they have a habit of catastrophic failure internally in addition to the valves and jets going south and needing attention.

What ever you do, be very careful with the threads where the burner assembly meets the base. Real easy to screw up the treads if over torqued.

Um saudade
Thanks. Good advice. I am looking for new burners. Base Camp is out.
I purchased all new internal parts from them, but it turns out they weren't exactly compatible, i.e. the spindle would not seat properly. Without that the other parts (needle etc) didn't help. so I sanded the old spindle and replaced the packing. Then the other part started leaking. arrggghh... but really I do like my stove. At least I understand how it works now.
~sky
Old 10-04-2011, 17:59   #8

In case anybody else finds this thread while looking for burners, try these folks.
Taylors heaters and cookers

I have an email in to them. will do a follow up post if I get burners from them.
Old 12-04-2011, 19:51   #9

Looking for burners is tough, as Base Camp doesn't have any now, and Taylor's want $220 for one! An since my stove is not made by Taylor, I am wary. I am thinking I should try to find a plug for it and only use my other two burners. Anybody know if it would be standard fitting, or is it likely a specialized part?
Old 13-04-2011, 03:44   #10
Scurvy Dog

This business has parts for this stove:

Butterfly 2412 Brass Pressure Stove

The burner is different, it has no internal valve, but as part of the stove kit, you get a cap that fits on the burner threads, intended to seal the stove for travel. If you email the website owner, you can probably buy just the cap.

Here are some possible sources, they may be old, but give them a call:

Marine Burners : A & H Enterprises, A & H Enterprises is the only North American service center for Optimus and Svea stoves.

Petromax - Petroleumlampe - Petroleum - Pelam.de -
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 05:24   #11

Boat: Heritage 35

the fittings are a standard size you can get them at home depot or? so you should be able to get a cap or plug. burners on my stove are bronze if yours are kenyon or patria assume they are the same and i would think a jewler or good welder can braze it. If you see another stove around buy it!! I'm hearing noises around here that Insurance companies are not going to insure boats with propane cookers much longer.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 06:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
... I'm hearing noises around here that Insurance companies are not going to insure boats with propane cookers much longer.
I'd be willing to wager that those are just that: meaningless noises.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 07:20   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Ahh... Gord, you beat me to it; and I'd be willing to wager that you won't find anyone willing to accept your wager
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:17   #14

Thanks, folks. This is the best forum!

Skylark, I think A&H would be able to help me, but their phone mailbox is full and I have three email messages from months ago that were never returned. I ended using Base Camp in England instead.

The other company Petromax is german, and I also had tried to contact them before, but couldn't communicate on phone.

I am going to try to find a standard fitting today. I think I'll just take the old burner off and carry it around with me. Maybe I can even find an out of work street-corner welder/brazer to do the job. lol.

As to the propane insurance question, I know that my ex had to remove his excellent propane water heater from his yacht because insurance wouldn't allow it for two reasons: 1) propane cannot have a "T" in the line, 2) it cannot have a pilot light (open flame is a hazard!). Perhaps the rumors Kalinka heard are related to these issues.

I will post my successes (or failure) soon.
Old 13-04-2011, 16:04   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW I purchased a plug (cap) for the burner from Base Camp.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote