Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 17:33   #16

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-29
Re: Stove Burner Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW I purchased a plug (cap) for the burner from Base Camp.
I may have found a place in Tacoma (25 mi) that will set me up. Williams Oil Filter Services claim to silver solder stuff like that all the time, and they sell every kind of fitting in metric. I'll drive up tomorrow. If that fails, back to Base Camp I go.

Luckily, I can stop at the women's spa on the way home. So the trip WILL be worth it.
Dramanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 17:57   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

You should ask around over at spiritburner. They know pretty much everything there is to know about kero stoves.

If you do enough research, you can figure out what other stoves have that same burner, then find the used stoves on ebay. I was considering converting my pressurized alcohol stove to kero, so I ended up doing some extensive research on obtaining the burners. It turned out it was cheaper to by complete stoves and rebuild the burners than it was to just buy a new burner from basecamp or the 1 or 2 other sources...

unfortunate that kero is a dying breed... good luck.
Old 14-04-2011, 01:21   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramanaut View Post
I may have found a place in Tacoma (25 mi) that will set me up. Williams Oil Filter Services claim to silver solder stuff like that all the time, and they sell every kind of fitting in metric. I'll drive up tomorrow. If that fails, back to Base Camp I go.

Luckily, I can stop at the women's spa on the way home. So the trip WILL be worth it.
Well the trip sounds worth it but I don't think the fitting will be metric, these burners are way too old for metric however someone with a better memory / more knowledge will hopefully chime in here and tell us what the thread really is.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well the trip sounds worth it but I don't think the fitting will be metric, these burners are way too old for metric however someone with a better memory / more knowledge will hopefully chime in here and tell us what the thread really is.
I know it isn't an ordinary size, I've searched every hardware store in Olympia. What other type is there? I thought metric was the only other choice. Hm... Clearly, I know very little about this stuff, but I am learning. And although I am on round eight of stove repairing, I am not quite ready to give up on it. Did I mention I like my stove. <sigh>

Please, somebody chime in with specifics. I would love an excuse to go to Tacoma (spa), but if it isn't necessary...
Old 14-04-2011, 08:57   #20

There are more different threads in the world than there are posts on CF

It will most likely be a British thread 'cause they probably invented the kero burner (and if they didn't someone will soon post here who did)!

Edit, looks like it was the Swedish see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

Yes, I understand the love of the kero stove, I went to a lot of trouble to find a second hand two burner stove and it took quite awhile to rebuild the burners etc but the end result was worth it.

I encourage you to keep going!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-04-2011, 09:09   #21

Thanks, Wotname. If you weren't a world away I'd invite you over to help with promise of a great meal at the end of it. ; )
Old 14-04-2011, 09:19   #22

And cooked on kero to boot
Old 18-04-2011, 15:03   #23

Well, after a lot of phone calls this morning, I managed to get A&H to send me one new burner for $75. I also found a supposedly compatible Hipolito burner for $40 which I went ahead and ordered as well. Both were the last ones available. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help. If I ever get them installed and properly functioning, I will post an update.
Old 18-04-2011, 16:08   #24

Thats sounds pretty good, hope they work out and yes, an update would be good even if it doesn't work as planned.