Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 11:56   #16

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: Stinky Head? Permeated Hoses? Solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
While changing hoses did help with my issue, I went with the Raritan Sani flex, but what really seemed to completely eliminate all odors was changing to fresh water flush, the actual head itself seems to harbor some odors if you flush with salt water.
I have never sailed in salt water only fresh but still have the same problems. BTW I installed a SCAD tank monitor, best thing ever.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 12:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Sea water stagnates and stinks in the intake line, pump and channel in the rim of the bowl...flushing with fresh water does eliminate those odors. However, a joker valve that's so worn that the slit has become a hole will allow odor from the tank and from sea water and/or waste that isn't rinsed out of the discharge hose to escape into the toilet. The solution in both sea water a fresh water toilets is, flush about a quart of fresh water at least daily--and especially last thing before closing up the boat, and replace the joker valve annually.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 17:38   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The only comment I would add to Peggy's advise is that although the Raritan hose will bend tight, don't force it beyond what it does easily. There have been a few kinks. If you feel like you have to force it (as Peggy will agree) add a 90.
Old 24-08-2016, 17:50   #19
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

12 strokes with the handle would empty my hoses, that is 12 flushing and 12 drying.
Just pumping feces "out of sight" will cause bad things to happen.
Old 29-08-2016, 11:13   #20

So this past weekend I wrapped my hoses with foil tape which was a bit of a task. This tape is really sticky and due to access can only use about a foot each time. I was somewhat sceptical whether this would work but the smell from permeated hoses went away. My boat gets hauled out in October for the winter and I plan on replacing the hoses in the spring prior to launch so wrapping the hoses was a great interim solution. In fact I plan on wrapping the new hoses prior to installation. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 29-08-2016, 11:31   #21

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
I identified the portion of the hoses that held black water at all times, because that's where the permeation occurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
[/I]Nothing new about that, no quality slippage. Shields and Trident #148 (identical hoses) is the cheapest sanitation hose on the market....single walled flex pvc that has always permeated in a heartbeat if any waste is allowed to stand in it.

In an installation that's not suitable for Trident 101/102, Raritan SaniFlex hose is the best choice..
Much of the discussion has been about the hose quality, but equally the issue is having a discharge system that allow waste to accumulate and sit in the hose. It seems to me that is a poor design. I've used the cheap WM hose without such smell, but I placed the tank not far above waterline with a steep, continually downhill discharge to the through hull. Not only does this prevent sewage from sanding but also allows sea water to flush the hose. Also no pump or pumping required to empty the tank.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 11:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Much of the discussion has been about the hose quality, but equally the issue is having a discharge system that allow waste to accumulate and sit in the hose. It seems to me that is a poor design. I've used the cheap WM hose without such smell, but I placed the tank not far above waterline with a steep, continually downhill discharge to the through hull. Not only does this prevent sewage from sanding but also allows sea water to flush the hose. Also no pump or pumping required to empty the tank.
When you say through hull are you referring to overboard discharge? In the Great Lakes (fresh water) this is illegal so the only option is a hose to my tank. I suppose there is another option that being composting toilet.

Tags
head