Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 18:10   #1

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
Stinky head no more

After all these years of battling a head odor that persisted no matter how clean it was kept, I've found a solution! You'll think I'm crazy, foolish, or wonder why you hadn't thought of it. In any case, I'm a happy fool if foolish I am. My head smells great all the time now, and it's cheap and easy.

I've done a write up on my blog, which has never and will never be monetized.

https://gulf32aeolus.blogspot.com/20...inky-head.html

Chilly here in the PNW, but at least we can boat year round, and the anchorages are empty from November to April.
Old 23-02-2019, 05:44   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Stinky head no more

Really should give a link to full documentation on the device whatever it is.

Otherwise smells like trolling clickbait.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 09:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

John it looks like just a plain old urinal screen . It won't stop the boat from developing that good old permeated head stink. It will just keep that ammonia based urine smell in check.
Would need to be removed to drop grow and back in for real business.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...kaAiXrEALw_wcB

Personally I say composting head stops all of the offending lingering smells from the head , hoses, and tanks
Old 23-02-2019, 09:13   #4

Quote:

I'm sorry you feel that way john61ct. If you followed the link to my blog you would see that I give a full description. I've had this blog for over 10 years, and like I even said on the post, have never monetized it. Because I put time and energy and photos onto my blog, I don't repeat all that here on the forum for obvious reasons.

To go further, I started my blog soon after i purchased my Gulf 32 because I was beginning a massive amount of work and couldn't find online references for much of what I was trying to do. I decided to start it as public service to other owners of Gulf 32's, and anyone else with similar problems. In fact, the most frequently visited pages on my blog are about how I installed a solent stay and how I did deep repair on my diesel tank in situ, which are not problems specific to Gulf 32's. Makes me happy to spare other sailors grief and confusion if I can.

Cheers,
Old 23-02-2019, 09:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way john61ct. If you followed the link to my blog you would see that I give a full description. I've had this blog for over 10 years, and like I even said on the post, have never monetized it. Because I put time and energy and photos onto my blog, I don't repeat all that here on the forum for obvious reasons.

To go further, I started my blog soon after i purchased my Gulf 32 because I was beginning a massive amount of work and couldn't find online references for much of what I was trying to do. I decided to start it as public service to other owners of Gulf 32's, and anyone else with similar problems. In fact, the most frequently visited pages on my blog are about how I installed a solent stay and how I did deep repair on my diesel tank in situ, which are not problems specific to Gulf 32's. Makes me happy to spare other sailors grief and confusion if I can.

Cheers,
what john was referring to was a link to the item such as I posted in my prior post.
Btw your blog doesn't have a link to the item just a poorly written description of it.
Old 23-02-2019, 09:24   #6

I don't understand how this deals with permeated stinky hose that fills up with calcium buildup and dead seawater organisms?? I can see how it keeps the bowl fresh, but that is most often not the issue with stinky heads. Does it keep hoses clean also somehow?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 12:24   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I assumed from the pic it was an electric gadget of some sort.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 13:04   #8

I'm glad we are now discussing the idea and not whether I'm the John Steinbeck of urinal deodorizer descriptions.

What I've noticed about the "urinal screen deodorizer", which is what they are called on Amazon, is that it keeps the entire room smelling clean. It does nothing I'm sure for calcium build up or for lubricating your head, so I still give a squirt of a home brew mix of salad oil and vinegar after each use.

What's especially great, is that when you go in to use the head for liquid purposes, it produces a stronger odor of the device in response to the NH3, which sure beats the burst of urine smell you otherwise get.

It's just a cheap, easy and durable solution to one aspect of head maintenance that I have long wrestled with, and that is, the smell of the place. Now, anytime you are in or around the head, it smells pleasant.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/urinal-de...y2espzasxrsym3
Old 23-02-2019, 13:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't understand how this deals with permeated stinky hose that fills up with calcium buildup and dead seawater organisms?? I can see how it keeps the bowl fresh, but that is most often not the issue with stinky heads. Does it keep hoses clean also somehow?
To do that you would need to ones that use a citric acid powder packet in it. To help keep the scale under control .( clean it out first ) thats what we used in the navy after clwaning the pipes out with a high power pressure washer (10k psi)
Old 23-02-2019, 14:08   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a much easier and foolproof solution to this problem, and it doesn't require you to pull something out of the bowl when you want to poop.

It's flushing the head after peeing.
Old 23-02-2019, 14:54   #11

Code:
It's flushing the head after peeing

Now why didn't the rest of us think of that! The dead critters in the sea water we flush with are the source of much of the bad odor in our heads. They die, and let off a sulphur smell. Flush as much and as thoroughly as you wish, and even wipe the whole thing down with simple green after every use, and your bowl will still put off a smell after a short while.

Another thing one can do to diminish smell, is keep a gallon jug of fresh water nearby and after flushing, do a small rinse with fresh water and pump that through. It eliminates the dead critters from the bowl, but is a meaningful use of fresh water if you are in an area where that is scarce. I don't have to do this now that I have this deodorizer system. One of my favorite things on the Gulf 32 is that it was built with 70 gallons of fresh water storage, and 70 gallons of diesel, despite only being 32 feet!
Old 23-02-2019, 15:50   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

2.5 years of full time cruising has “suggested” to me that “critter” smell isn’t much of a problem when the head gets used a lot.

But then the “critter” smell isn’t the thread topic or I would provide other methods for that.
Old 24-02-2019, 08:44   #13

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Good morning John!

Say, did you ever find your dream boat? You know, the 50k boat you wanted to find for 5k? Just curious mate as you sure do give a lot of "advise" on this forum.

9,000 posts and counting....

Old 24-02-2019, 09:48   #14

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

My solution to head smell was to install a fish tank airerator pump to a fitting on the holding tank, runs all the tome at the dock and runs on inverter while sailing.
No smells in my head.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 10:39   #15

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

Captndave1 has the right solution. Cross ventilation and an aerator pump, that's my set up and it works perfectly. The pump I use is the one called 'Sweet Tank' (https://www.groco.net/products/marin...dor-prevention) and runs on 12 volts. It has been installed and working on my boat for 15 years.
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head