Iíve had a spectra Watermaker with The MPC 500 controller for 5 years and learned the best problem solving starts with a call to the spectra tech. They are great and patient and walk me thru troubleshooting over the phone
. Their phone
is (415) 526-2780. Iím no expert just learning
on the job,
that being said there are several conditions and components to verify.
1. Check to be sure the pre filters are clean. If your making water in a muddy bay like the Chesapeake they will clog up in as little as a half hour of making water. Sometimes I would replace the filter and it would clog up with fine sediment almost instantly if I wasnít in clear water.
2. Verify the raw water
intake is allowing water in. Close the valve. Remove the hose to the thru hull
and slowly open the valve. If water gushes in your good.
3. Verify the booster pump is working (usually located by the seawater intake. Mine went out and reduced flow to the Watermaker and the Watermaker would shut down after only a few minutes. A new one was fairly inexpensive and easy to put in.
4. Verify the brine discharge valve is open. Visually see the water is freely discharging overboard
while running the Watermaker. The line could be partially linked or clogged.
5. The diversion valve, located on the end of the Clark pump tubes, sometimes sticks and diverts all water overboard
. This doesnít sound like your problem but Iíve heard itís a common occurrence and happened to me. Initially a light tapping on the diversion valve with a mallet while running got it unstuck but after a few times I got a new one. Pretty easy replacement.
5. Those are some of the easy checks. Then to verify if the Clark pump O rings are the problem have the Spectra Tech walk you thru that check. A new Clark pump at least for my Catalina
340z system runs around $3000 but you can get a rebuilt one for about $1000 if you turn in your old Clark pump. I did that and it made my whole system run really well after struggling to troubleshoot for a month.
6. Iíve never had to replace the membrane. So canít help you there. Good luck but let us know what happens.