Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 16:41   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Speedseal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Greenough
Any recomendations for a quick change plate for a jabsco water pump">raw water pump? I managed to get my redone but the location and small bronze screws are in need of an upgrade. Sugestions please on how to address this issue............

My Jabsco is the 2.5 inch impeller and I am seriously thinking of getting the sureseal cover for this in order to easily remove the cap and pull the impeler. I note from other posts that speedseal may have a slightly dark side but..... On the perlins 6.354-4M the position of the pump is easy of access and I am only trying to speed up a change and avoid 6 deformed bronze screws. My take on the speedseal thread is that over tightening the thumb screw was the origin of the problems emcountered.

Comments please.
I don't know how much meat you have left around the screw holes w/o know the part # of the pump but I would imagine you could drill and tap for the next size up. But the thumb screws would be off size unless they make a larger set. Also you may have to enlarge the holes in the cover slightly.

The second option would be to skip the thumb screws and just use regular SS hex head cap screws.

The third option would be to drill and tap for a Helicoil®. The problem with those is that they are not really intended for multi uses, IAW- they tend to come loose if the screw is run in/out too many times or the threads are bad/worn on the screw.

Personally, I would use the second option, being a Machinist and all.
Del.................................._/)
Old 24-11-2010, 10:06   #2

Boat: Monk 36 Chai Yen
Folks having changed the impeller with the lasst forrey lasting about 45 minutes inspite of the easy access to the Raw water Pump I have continued to explore the SPEED SEAL option. I looked at the Jabsco screw price at $10 for three and decided that If I were smart I'd by 6 at $20 - the Impellers are $27 each. But finally after talking to the Tri County Diesel folks ( thay said there were problems with leaks according to some of their coustomers) and checking the net again where I figure that the positive comments are ranging about 70 to 80% I got out the wallet and ordered the upgraded SPEEDSEAL at around $100. I confess that one main deturminate in the decission is that if the process is easy on my boat it has a higher percentage of getting done. The easier I can make things the better. So I now wait for the delivery and will report my initial reaction. With regard to the question of customer service the SPEEDSEAL 800 number shoots you into the UK - the gentleman on the phone was knowledgeable, pleasant and gave understandable answers to my several questions. Now for a real time test. Tight Lines and following seas. JG
John_Greenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 10:25   #3

I think the reason some of the speedseal may leak is due to the rigidity (thickness) of the speedseal. The face of the pump housings may not be exactly flat, where a flexible plate would take it's shape.
The speedseal is rigid with an o-ring which should take up the lack of flatness but if off more then .010" it could leak. But I think this would be unlikely unless someone took a file to the face of the pump housing.

The other possibility is if the screws are not positioned accurately then the plate would be off center causing a leak around the edge. So, it maybe important to get the cove positioned properly on center.

BTW- Are you having to change your impellers often?
Old 24-11-2010, 10:37   #4

DEL, I will keep your observations in mind. No I do not have to change the impellers often. The first time was after two years and the impeller that was removed was almost like new and went into the spare locker. The second time last week was perhaps a bit longer since I was in the Dominican Republic last year and the boat was not used. This time the vanes had a bit of a set to them but none were cracked or broken the impeller went into the trash. I am of the opinion that the recommended yearly impeller change is mandatory. Making it easy will more than insure that it gets done on schedule. In this case I suppose I am trading bucks for discipline - I have found over my time afloat that the easier I can make systems the better I do in going through the LIST! Seems like Out of sight - is out of mind. I have found that Just because I decide to ignore something doesn't mean that the issues ceases to exist!

Tight Lines.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:44   #5

Good on you!
Old 24-11-2010, 11:34   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

We've had good service from our Speedseal (Nanni 43), but have not been able to source replacement o-rings locally. We don't have a useful mailing address, so ordering from England is awkward.

So, has anyone found a source, and does anyone know what the nomenclature for the o-ring is? Oh -- it's a Johnson FSB-9 pump, uses a 2 1/4 x 1 1/4 inch impeller.

Thanks and Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Russel Island, Qld, Oz southbound again
Old 24-11-2010, 11:41   #7

If you measure the ID and the depth of the O-ring grove, I can get you the generic nomenclature. It's most likely in inches.
Old 24-11-2010, 11:47   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Thanks, Del,

Can't disassemble it right now, but will take a raincheck if I may. It is a very small cross-section ring... none of the vendors I've found here in Oz have had a match. Wish that I'd brought my Parker o-ring manual with me!!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-11-2010, 12:28   #9

Better yet here is a picture with the dim's

Or if you want more info then you could possibly ever use goto: http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD...g_Handbook.pdf

O-rings are fairly cheap unless you get into the larger sizes so it's always best to buy lot of extras. If nothing else they hold charts and other stuff together.

If you need metric, that is another chart.

Old 24-11-2010, 12:41   #10

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
If the pump housing is a problem and you are talking about re engineering it I think you will find a new one cheaper. We have the speed seal and faced the pump housing with a very fine honing stone we change the impella every year and have had to in an emergency 3 times. Thank god for the speed seal as we can now change an impella in about 4 mins.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 13:17   #11

Some of the older Jabsco pumps are obsolete. Don't know if this is the case. Fortunately, some of the shafts, seals and bearing are interchangeable.
Old 10-12-2010, 16:30   #12

Speed Seal on CHAI YEN

I ordered the unit from the UK and had a pleasant chat with the Brit on the phone. I asume that this is a one person company. The package arrived form the UK by regular mail in about 2 weeks not the stated 7 days.

The package was well wrapped and all inclusive. The removal of the Jabsco cap took about 20 minutes. The Speed Seal instructions are very complete, I took particular pains to insure that I got all of the old paper gasket off the housing and then having followed the instructions using the included silacone waterproof grease slipped the face plate into place and hand tightened the 4 gnarled screws.

I opened the through hull putting water to the raw water intake and fired up the engine. Damned thing leaked like a sceive. I was really bumbed out with this turn of events. I pondered the issue and removed the Speed Seal face plate thin time in about two minutes and discovered the possible problem. The "O" ring was not in the groove and thus was not properly seated.
I attribute this to OPERATOR ERROR- The "O" ring is really small and the grove is tiny also. I There was no menetion in the directions that one should back off the 2 screws so that the face plate can be placed with out sliding it on the pump housing. Once the plate is in position - move the plate directly on to the face of the pump housing and tighten hand tight.

I fired up again and much to my satisfaction there was a perfect seal and nary a drop of water. So for the moment I am prepared to endorse the SPEED SEAL if you follow the above points.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:23   #13

One other thing you can do to hold the o-ring in place is to pack the grove full of the grease then insert the o-ring and wipe it flush.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44   #14

Del, That is exactly what I did! I Slathered the O ring and grove with the grease to hold things in place. Looks like I can now change the impeller on a regular basis or in an emergency in less than 5 minutes. On one final note I did not get the impeller remover supplied by Speed Seal to work properly and reverted to using a pair of pliers to remove the impeller. Needle nose pliers would be best option since the Jabsco impeller remover was quoted at <$60. I passed on that on as being flagrant borgeouis frippery.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Greenough View Post
... I passed on that on as being flagrant borgeouis frippery.
Now, there's a phrase I haven't heard since my young communist league days.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote