Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 14:38   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56
Spectra Watermaker Vane Pump Feedback

I'm thinking of improving my watermaker system from the smallish, 12V Shurflo pumps used in the Cape Cod version to the Procon Mag5 vane pump used in the Newport series.

However, as I was researching my options, I found that the pump bodies on these vane pumps is made from 303 stainless. This means they should be having all kinds of corrosion issues on the inside, arising from pumping seawater several hours per day.

Are there users on this forum with one of the Newport series using a vane pump? If so, have you ever popped off the hoses from the pump body to peek inside? Or, have you noticed rusty water coming through your system at startup, despite pumping in pristine water?

I can't figure how Spectra/Katadyn would be willing to provide long-term support for a system that essentially has failure designed into it. Hence, I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. I contacted Procon and they verified that there is no special pump created for Spectra, and that no 316 stainless version is available.
Frode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 20:32   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Spectra Watermaker Vane Pump Feedback

They've been around in Spectra watermakers for a while with no issues AFAIK which kind of suggests they do OK. I suspect you will need to fit a VSD to the mag pump unless you pulse it with a pressure switch to get the correct flow rate.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:39   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Would anyone know the Procon vane pump model for a Spectra Newport 700. I would like to buy a spare for which Spectra charges $1823 when the Mag 5 procon pumps vary between $250 and $350.

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:31   #4

You should consider just getting a rebuild kit, instead of a complete pump head. I ended up buying additional heads because I found them inexpensively on eBay (I've bought two of them for less than $100 each), but I also have the rebuild kit on hand.

Edco Distributing sells rebuild kits for $78.

I also ended up forgoing the Mag version of the pump, and just using the direct-drive, as it is much more readily available. Edco sells brand new ones for $240. The versions that would work with the Newport 700 have model numbers like 1x5B240F31xxx, meaning Series-5, 240 GPH, clamp-on connection. The remaining model numbers will indicate the type of bypass valve installed (which should be type A, with settings from 151-250 PSI) and, optionally, what the default setting of this valve is. Further information on how to decode the model number is available at the Procon site.
Old 02-10-2019, 13:37   #5

I have a five year old Newport 400 MkII. About 1000 hours of use. Have had no problem with the mag drive pump. Never seen rusty water. I also know about a half dozen people with this unit and never heard any of them complain of a rust problem.

I think Spectra had been using this same pump well before they were bought by Katadyn.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 19:39   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode View Post
I also ended up forgoing the Mag version of the pump, and just using the direct-drive, as it is much more readily available. Edco sells brand new ones for $240. The versions that would work with the Newport 700 have model numbers like 1x5B240F31xxx, meaning Series-5, 240 GPH, clamp-on connection. The remaining model numbers will indicate the type of bypass valve installed (which should be type A, with settings from 151-250 PSI) and, optionally, what the default setting of this valve is. Further information on how to decode the model number is available at the Procon site.

Frode
I wonder if you would share which pump you used for your Cape Horn and if you if you had any issues or needed anything additional. Are you happy with the result. I too would be interested in upgrading the Shurflo pumps.
Thanks
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:38   #7

Geoff,

I carefully studied the setup for all the Newport models, and decided on something akin to the Newport 700/1000, but with a lower rated pump. The Newport 400 uses a 140 GPH pump and the larger models use a 240 GPH. I settled on a 190 GPH, which I mated with a 1/2 HP, 240 VAC, three-phase motor, and a VFD from Lenze (AC Tech).

The specific pump model I picked, which does not have the internal bypass valve, is the 105B190F31XX. The bypass valve provides an extra measure of safety, preventing too large of an input pressure to the Clark pump, but I use a pressure switch to achieve the same result.

I'm very happy with the system. The motor and pump are almost silent in operation. The motor runs at about 2/3 of max speed (44 Hz), creating an input pressure to the Clark pump of about 105 PSI.

Obviously, with no controller, the operation of the pump is manual, but the VFD makes this process very easy, as it remembers the last setting.
Old 04-10-2019, 13:05   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Can anyone tell me where to buy a non-original shruflo (or equivalent) pump for my spectra 200T?

Spectra claims that the pump is made specially for them - which I doubt

thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 15:07   #9

Thank you for that, Frode. VERY helpful. I need to do a little more research but this is now definitely on my "to do" list.
Old 04-10-2019, 15:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Can anyone tell me where to buy a non-original shruflo (or equivalent) pump for my spectra 200T?

thanks
I don't have a definitive answer but the following might be helpful.

Defender lists the Shurflow 8008-943-839 as a suitable replacement for Spectra feed pump. Their price $180.

They also list the genuine Spectra/Shurflow for $200.

I SUSPECT that the Spectra pump is the same with maybe a slightly different pump head. but for $20, I'd get the genuine one. Now, if you can find the 8008-943-839 for a bargain price somewhere........
Old 04-10-2019, 15:24   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

thanks
I was reading this thread because I've been thinking of trying to change our 200T to a vane pump, but the last pump I got was a Shurflo 8008-943-839.

Got it at PumpVendor.com. No affiliation but I was happy with their service, they got the pumps (I bought 2 to have a spare) shipped, marked properly for a yacht in transit, paperwork filled out right, all that good stuff.

They also sell parts and kits but we've found that by the time a rebuild is needed the bearings in the motor are also not at their best so just buy the whole pump. Seem to last about two years, full time cruising, two people aboard, probably average 600-700 hours/year.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 16:57   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

As I was searching for various pumps came across this no-name that seems to meet the specs for a 200T.

https://www.amazon.com/Diaphragm-Pre.../dp/B072BXBQGC

Might have to risk the $30 some day and see what happens.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 03:51   #13
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Quote:
Geoff,

I'm very happy with the system. The motor and pump are almost silent in operation. The motor runs at about 2/3 of max speed (44 Hz), creating an input pressure to the Clark pump of about 105 PSI.
Thank you for the data! With 105psi on the Clark pump, what is the pressure on the membrane?
How much the production went up compared to stock 140gph pump?

I plan to use the same setup with 240gph pump and 3/4hp motor. My 230v network is 50hz, so I should be at 90%.
To control, I will use a simple vfd controller from a kitchen extractor fan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	accessoires-et-pieces-detachees-regulateur-de-vitesses-10-amperes-equipement-direct-rem10a.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	232728  
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 05:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
To control, I will use a simple vfd controller from a kitchen extractor fan
Are you sure the Bartscher regulator is a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive)? Many inexpensive motor controllers are not actually inverters, which regulate both output voltage and output frequency.

I never measured the flow in the previous system. However, with both pumps running, the Cape Horn is rated at just about the same output, around 60 LPH. I upgraded to get better, more reliable components.

The membrane pressure probably sits just under 1,000 PSI (I don't have the pressure gauge connected), where it produces product water with TDS readings around 80 PPM.
Old 17-02-2021, 23:24   #15
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Quote:
Are you sure the Bartscher regulator is a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive)? Many inexpensive motor controllers are not actually inverters, which regulate both output voltage and output frequency.
Yes, there are cheap (thyristor) motor controllers, but they are not powerful at all.
The other two are 1-phase and 3-phass inverters.

FVD only change the frequency, not the voltage.

If I were you - I would put a 1000psi gauge. There is a TEST port in the Clark pump for it, I think.
Just to be sure about the pressure to the membrane.

Tags
pump, water, watermaker