Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 16:51   #1

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Spectra Watermaker Parts

We have a Spectra Catalina 300. After 11 years of use, we now need to replace the membrane. Previously I bought parts online directly from Spectra, but I see that they now closed their online store and we must use their dealers. The last time I looked (2012?), the membrane was $400 in the USA.

Being in Australia, the marine ripoff centre of the universe, that already annoys me - to be forced to deal with a local. The local dealer quoted me closer to a grand a few months back when I casually asked, which at the time only reinforced my intention to buy online from the USA.

I would prefer to buy the real Spectra part, not a cheap Chinese copy membrane. Any ideas or recent experience on how to buy a reasonably priced Spectra membrane from a non-Aussie online store?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:11   #2

Re: Spectra Watermaker Parts

Now that Spectra has done their customers the disservice of closing their online store I'll have to quit recommending them. Their prices were always outrageous. We buy everything other than Clark pump items from somewhere else.
The membrane comes from Dow Filmtec. We got ours online from WaterAnywhere, reverse osmosis systems, water filters, membranes, testers & components along with filters and housings. Good luck!
svmaluhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 10:01   #3

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Try Marine Air Conditioning Sales and Service - Annapolis Cruisair - Offering sales, service, and parts for Marine Air Conditioning, heaters, water makers, generators, battery chargers, and refrigeration service for watercrafts, boats and yachts of all s. They are our local Spectra dealer when we are home from Turkey. However, check out the shipping/customs charges before you order. It may be cheaper to buy in Aus. While we have the same Spectra unit, we have yet to replace the membrane. When we do, we'll bring it back in our luggage when we go home for a visit.

Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:07   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Spectra doesn't use Spectra membranes - they use standard Dow filmtec membranes. There are no cheap Chinese copies that I am aware of.

These guys have good pricing: FILMTEC MEMBRANE

Eleven years is excellent service from a membrane. That is longer than ours last.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 16:20   #5

thanks for all the leads on membranes for Spectra watermakers. very enlightening.

now, would anyone please supply Filmtek part number for membrane to fit
Spectra Ventura 150.

or, alternatively, could anyone supply dimensions of membrane for Spectra Ventura 150 (our boat is far away)

thank you
peterzarzecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 18:05   #6

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!

Not sure if you have gotten the info you needed about your Spectra, if not you might want to touch base with Tellie on Cruisers Forum also known as Haldens Marine Service in So Florida. He is a Spectra dealer and has to be the Nicest most helpful man we have had the pleasure to come across in a LONG LONG time! I have no doubt that J.T. would go out of his way to assist you! He helped us when we were trying to get info and ck out our Spectra in order to sell! Even while on vacation! Send him a PM , you can't go wrong with Haldens Marine Service
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 19:00   #7

thanks to all about the spectra 150 membrane.

problem solved.

peterzarzecki
peterzarzecki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, watermaker