Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2022, 07:46   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42
Spectra watermaker flushing

I'm reinstalling a manual Spectra 200T watermaker as part of a major refit. As far as I know, for manual flushing it's customary to have a y-valve to flush with water from the pressurized fresh water system via a charcoal filter to remove any chlorine.

Is it possible to do this without pressurized fresh water? Can I draw unpressurized fresh water through a charcoal filter into the feed pump? Is there a better way of setting up flushing without using a freshwater pump?
Robertkwfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 09:38   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Spectra watermaker flushing

You don't need pressurised fresh water feed, the main feed pump will suck from a static tank or even a bucket if necessary.
If you flush with product water (no chlorine) then you could use the service port.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 02:30   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I would recommend that you do connect to your cold freshwater pressurized line. When a 200T pump starts to get tired it can be hard for them to draw a vacuum and draw water to them. They will still make enough pressure to make water but when they get tired flushing can become a problem. The positive input pressure is really what the 200T was designed for.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 02:54   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I would recommend that you do connect to your cold freshwater pressurized line. When a 200T pump starts to get tired it can be hard for them to draw a vacuum and draw water to them. They will still make enough pressure to make water but when they get tired flushing can become a problem. The positive input pressure is really what the 200T was designed for.

Yes I agree.
I assumed the OP was looking for a "can I, is it possible" one off temporary solution.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, water, watermaker