Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 12:27   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Spectra Watermaker Economics

I am rebuilding a spectra water maker and trying to determine whether to use a 21" or 40" membrane and therefore one or two pumps.

It seems the cost of the membranes and housing is basically the same, but my chief concern is extending the time of the Clark pump between servicing.

My pump was just rebuilt/replaced for the previous owner last year.

Does anyone know what it costs to have a pump rebuilt? I see the seal kit alone selling for $490! I know water maker water is said to be expensive, but it seems like you maybe getting into really expensive water depending on how often you need a seal kit?

So basically, does the running of two pumps double the frequency of rebuilds? Or is an hour on the pump the same either way and maybe the gallons made per rebuild is much higher when using 2 pumps?

Can anyone share an approximate gallons made/maintenance cost ratio for say a 2-5 year period?

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 10-06-2015, 17:27   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Watermaker Economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I am rebuilding a spectra water maker and trying to determine whether to use a 21" or 40" membrane and therefore one or two pumps.

It seems the cost of the membranes and housing is basically the same, but my chief concern is extending the time of the Clark pump between servicing.

My pump was just rebuilt/replaced for the previous owner last year.

Does anyone know what it costs to have a pump rebuilt? I see the seal kit alone selling for $490! I know water maker water is said to be expensive, but it seems like you maybe getting into really expensive water depending on how often you need a seal kit?
So basically, does the running of two pumps double the frequency of rebuilds? Or is an hour on the pump the same either way and maybe the gallons made per rebuild is much higher when using 2 pumps?

Can anyone share an approximate gallons made/maintenance cost ratio for say a 2-5 year period?

Cheers,
Jeff
First you need to determine what Clark pump you have. Though they all look alike, they are not. They are rated in percentages. 7%, 10%,15%, and 20%. Also what feed pump/s are you thinking of using? On a properly set up system the Clark pump will last a very long time. Oversize or undersize a feed pump, membrane and Clark pump somethings going to fail earlier than it should. There is really no hours to gallons maintenace cost ratio. Everybody is going to use their system differently and in different conditions. Forget buying a seal kit. You can take advantage of Spectras exchange program for the Clark pump. For $425 and one way shipping they will either re-man your old pump or exchange your pump for a re-maned one. If the two cylinders are beyond saving they would be replaced at $100 each additional.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Spectra Watermaker Economics

I was thinking of buying the feedpump from you. It is a 10% pump.

$425 every say 5 years seems reasonable. No doubt katadyn will tinker with those rates.

Tags
water, watermaker