Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2018, 09:45   #1

Spectra watermaker catalina deluxe 300 Clark Pump problem

Our spectra water maker started to leak around the cylinder > i tried to catch the situation on video. it only leaks at high pressure.
i already opened the clark pump, cleaned it from all rust and put it together again. still leaking.
does anyone know that can be sealed again? or do i have to send the pump to spectra?

https://vimeo.com/283949684/5edf69969f
mr. fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25   #2

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Spectra watermaker catalina deluxe 300 Clark Pump problem

Looks to me like it’s leaking from the o ring seal. Did you change these o rings or when you put it together maybe pinched the o ring .
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39   #3

do you know what size the o ring is? here in croatia is it not easy to get original spare parts (4-5 weeks) thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44   #4

Re: Started diesel with exhaust valve closed

I jad the same problem on my catalina and it was the orings. Sorry I don't have the dimensions
Antilag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:51   #5

the orings didn't look so bad. but one was a little bigger. are these standard rings or can i get them in a sanitary shop?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:55   #6

Old 10-08-2018, 04:12   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. fox View Post
the orings didn't look so bad. but one was a little bigger. are these standard rings or can i get them in a sanitary shop?
You can get a full set of seals directly from Spectra. They will also help you diagnose the issue...which just looks like a leaking seal to me.

Having rust in your Clark pump is puzzling...there are no corrosive parts in a Clark pump. Where did the rust come from?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:33   #8

from the screws holding the pump together. the boat is new and i have no idea how long the watermaker was not in use. the membran was totally fouled (replaced it already) and beside of a few drops at the clark pump the watermaker was running just fine. first i thought the pump is leaking because of a rust track between the two clark pump parts. will try to get a new o-ring. hope it solves the problem.
Old 11-08-2018, 00:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Hydraulic shops or farm supply stores have o-ring material in long rolls and can make up any size if oem o-rings aren't available or you're not near a port. The material is cut and glued. Seems to last as long and any o-ring.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:47   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

In the video you can see you have a leak at the top right where the cylinder is fitted into the block you need a new Cylinder, sorry. Once that cylinder is dislodged from the base a fraction of a mmsi there is no way to fix it. Also Those are the old o ring material, they turn brittle, crack and stop sealing well. The check valve o rings are non proprietary can find at anywhere that carries o rings, a little silicone grease goes a long way.
Corrosion forms for many reasons but one us the chemical reaction between the water and stainless and also the nickel bronze fittings. It's good to remove j tubes and high pressure tube and then fittings and clean them every so often. One speck of rust can get In and score cylinders, pistons, and annular rings.
Be careful when reassembling the cylinders/ bases to the Clark pump body, it is very very easy to dislodge the check valve o rings just a hair and have a leak.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:32   #11

I have the same system & also had a leak I couldn’t fix. I had a guy in Ft Lauderdale who specializes in Spectra rebuild it - cost about $250. Do you want his contact info?
2hulls4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, water, watermaker