Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 11:19   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Spectra Newport - Pickling for storage

I'm about to put "Zanshin" back on the hard and just followed the instruction for pickling my Spectra Newport. The water used to flush the system looked a bit different than usual and after finishing pickling I realized that the solution was soapy looking and checked the container that contained the powder - and it turns out that I didn't use "SC-1 Pickling" but "SC-2 Alkaline" cleaning solution! The instructions for using the 2 are quite similar, but now I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I don't have anywhere to get the correct SC-1 pickling solution and would like to know if I can leave the the SC-2 in the system in lieu of putting the correct solution in. My only other choice right now is to flush out the solution with water but then I don't have any means to pickle the watermaker.

I'm open to any suggestions...
Old 10-05-2017, 12:27   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Spectra Newport - Pickling for storage

Replying to my own thread, since my e-mail to Spectra (Katadyne) support was answered within a half hour!!!

Quote:
Hmmmm. If you do not have the SC-1, SC-2 would be the biocide you would use to try to clean the growth on the membrane. But, prolonged exposure to the cleaner can damage the membrane.
SC-2 is okay to leave overnight, or even a day, but you’re better off doing a healthy fresh water flush.
Old 10-05-2017, 16:21   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Newport - Pickling for storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Replying to my own thread, since my e-mail to Spectra (Katadyne) support was answered within a half hour!!!

Yes, flush the SC-2 from your system. If you can not get any SC-1 (just call me) you can use Propylene Glycol.

HldenMarineService@yahoo.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport, storage