Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 03:22   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Spectra Low Pressure Pump

After 4 years of faultless operation the low pressure pump on my Spectra watermaker is finally playing up.
These pumps do wear out out and I think its given very good service considering it has been run every second day continuously.

I have a spare pump, but would like to repair this one.

The problem is the pump motor stops completely. There is still 12v to the input terminals and the cooling fan is running.

Wriggling the input wires where they enter the motor restores normal operation.
My guess is the brushes have become carboned up, or possibly there is a break in the wire as it enters the motor.

My question is does anyone know the brush size for this motor? Or has anyone done a similar repair?

It is a Surflow 8008-943-839 diapragm pump It similar to the freshwater pump (the motor is identical) as used on many boats
Fitted to Spectra Ventura 150.

Photos of the new pump which is identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	54373   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E035B7D-3445-49B6-8D79-ADC60CF2B5CC-1358-000001FC57F4FEE0.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	54374  

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57   #2

Re: Spectra Low Pressure Pump

Surflow seems like a good starting point, but I'm sure you have though of that. Perhaps they have parts diagrams/list on their web site? If not a phone call could be a good next step. Or just pull the motor apart, extract the brushes, and take them to a good hardware store or electric repair shop for matching up.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You might want to call or email Spectra... On my Newport 400 II, the low pressure pump is a different manufacture, I think Rule. When mine went out last year, I used a fresh water pump until Spectra sent me a replacement pump.

Anyway, their Tech people are very helpful and should be able to provide information

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 20:30   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
After 4 years of faultless operation the low pressure pump on my Spectra watermaker is finally playing up.
These pumps do wear out out and I think its given very good service considering it has been run every second day continuously.

I have a spare pump, but would like to repair this one.

The problem is the pump motor stops completely. There is still 12v to the input terminals and the cooling fan is running.

Wriggling the input wires where they enter the motor restores normal operation.
My guess is the brushes have become carboned up, or possibly there is a break in the wire as it enters the motor.

My question is does anyone know the brush size for this motor? Or has anyone done a similar repair?

It is a Surflow 8008-943-839 diapragm pump It similar to the freshwater pump (the motor is identical) as used on many boats
Fitted to Spectra Ventura 150.

Photos of the new pump which is identical.
:whist ling:: whistling:

Ok, I'll answer anyway. Chance that the brushes are bad is slim. Chances are better that you have a bad connection. Try wiggling the two red wires right at the pressure switch. These connections are known for becoming loose and corroded. If that doesn't work then try removing both red wires at the pressure switch and jump them together. Chances are good that your motor will run fine when jumped. If after you've cleaned and made good the connections and the pump still runs off and on then the pressure switch is bad. The cooling fan is irrelevant to your pump problem. If all this fails then it's possible that there is a bad wire entering the back of the pump, either loose or shorting out. If the brushes are bad they are bad, wiggling the wires back and forth won't make them work sporadically. But since you do have a spare and if the above fails taking apart the motor and getting to the brushes is not too hard. Check the condition, sometimes a bit of 600 grit works well.
Also on jeremiasons watermaker the pumps are entirely different. On your watermaker Jeremiason you have two pumps, the boost pump to which you are referring to and the feed pump. The VT 150 does not have a boost pump. The feed pump head on the VT 150 is proprietary to Spectra made specifically for them by Shurflo. You would have to get one from Spectra or a Spectra dealer. Standard Shurflo heads from WM won't work.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
:whist ling:: whistling:

Ok, I'll answer anyway. Chance that the brushes are bad is slim. Chances are better that you have a bad connection. Try wiggling the two red wires right at the pressure switch. These connections are known for becoming loose and corroded. If that doesn't work then try removing both red wires at the pressure switch and jump them together.
Thanks for the advice. It is always very difficult with these intermittent problems to trace them down. It has only happened 3 times so far, but I was able to start and stop the pump by pushing on the negative wire where it entered the pump body, which makes me suspect the problem lies here rather than the pressure switch, but next time it happens I will try jumping the pressure switch.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 20:40   #6

Boat: Morrelli & Melvin custom 52-ft catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Ok, I'll answer anyway. Chance that the brushes are bad is slim. Chances are better that you have a bad connection.
<snip>
You would have to get one from Spectra or a Spectra dealer. Standard Shurflo heads from WM won't work.
That's great troubleshooting advice. One thing I would add for Spectra owners of that series Shurflo feed pump is that our pressure bypass switch failures are often traced to the microswitch. After 3 failures over 13 years on our 380C pumps I bought ten of these at Digikey:

Spare microswitch OMRON V-15-2C26-K F3 (3071RA1) $2.06

Another common bypass switch failure mode has been the spring - a fatigue fault. These can be purchased from Shurflo, or from Depco Pumps, a favorite source.
WombatWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:11   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatWhiskers View Post
That's great troubleshooting advice. One thing I would add for Spectra owners of that series Shurflo feed pump is that our pressure bypass switch failures are often traced to the microswitch. After 3 failures over 13 years on our 380C pumps I bought ten of these at Digikey:

Spare microswitch OMRON V-15-2C26-K F3 (3071RA1) $2.06

Another common bypass switch failure mode has been the spring - a fatigue fault. These can be purchased from Shurflo, or from Depco Pumps, a favorite source.

Ten? You're a trooper to be sure.

With all watermakers there are a few weak points. These pressure switches are one of them. Though official Spectra recommendations is of course to replace them I see plenty bypassed and wired directly with zero problems. The likelihood these pumps are going to overpressure is slim to none. I don't like the spade connectors and believe they don't belong on boats but that is the way they are manufactured. So if one does fail just bypass the switch and connect the two red pressure switch feed wires. The pump head itself is an item that will eventually lose pressure over time and a replacement pump head will come with a new pressure switch.
It's nice to see the 380Cs still out there working. It's certainly a testament of the care you've put into it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote