Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 08:17   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Spectra acquired by Katadyn - anybody have more info?

This was originally posted by MickBeth50, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Spectra has been acquired by Katadyn. How do you think this will affect buying a Spectra? Anybody going to a boat show could ask around? Will we able to buy them from whoever we want now? I tried to buy one from Tellie but was told he wasn't allowed to sell one to me because I was in a different region.

The Katadyn Group acquires the assets of U.S. company Spectra Watermakers, Inc. - Katadyn Products Inc.

We need to buy one in the next month or so, hoping to get a deal from a boat show.

We're looking at a Spectra or possibly a ECHOTec 260-DML-1. We want to go 12v. We have a Honda 2000 but don't want to be lugging it out on deck every day to make water, otherwise we'd consider the CruiserRO.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 08:23   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Spectra acquired by Katadyn - anybody have more info?

This is not a good development. When Katadyn bought PUR, the doubled the price and made replacement parts harder to get and even more expensive.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 08:46   #3

I didn't want to jinx it, but yeah, typically when a company is bought it goes to hell in a handbasket...
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
This was originally posted by MickBeth50, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Spectra has been acquired by Katadyn. How do you think this will affect buying a Spectra? Anybody going to a boat show could ask around? Will we able to buy them from whoever we want now? I tried to buy one from Tellie but was told he wasn't allowed to sell one to me because I was in a different region.

The Katadyn Group acquires the assets of U.S. company Spectra Watermakers, Inc. - Katadyn Products Inc.

We need to buy one in the next month or so, hoping to get a deal from a boat show.

We're looking at a Spectra or possibly a ECHOTec 260-DML-1. We want to go 12v. We have a Honda 2000 but don't want to be lugging it out on deck every day to make water, otherwise we'd consider the CruiserRO.
Things are still the same. Same people behind it same pricing and availability. The distributorship network will remain the same as this is what has made the brand strong. You will still have to get one through your distributor. But I will always be here if anyone ever needs any help, advice, of help in getting parts.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:46   #5

Boat: Caliber 40

We have a 15-year old Spectra that works well and their customer support has been fantastic. I sure hope that Katadyn does not do to Spectra what Espar did to Ardic.

Our Ardic heater (installed when we lived in Puget Sound) has been wonderful and very reliable but is now 20-years old. Espar purchased Ardic in about 2005 and immediately closed the production line and quit making spare parts. I purchased a large quantity of spares in 2006 but now can find no parts anywhere and have to fabricate any part I need.

My Ardic was much cheaper to purchase and install in 1995 than was an Espar and seemed to be much more stoutly built. I am sure that is why Aridic was purchased and killed.

Good Luck to Spectra!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:02   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I don't know about being an asset or not. I've never been a set but many times the pre-fix.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Old 01-02-2015, 23:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Wink Re: Spectra acquired by Katadyn - anybody have more info?

Maybe they will buy me next......
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You mean you'd sell out Rich?!

It does seem interesting that Katadyn would buy Spectra, considering we're all hoping that a new tech for making water is about to blossom from nanotubes or 3d printer magic. They must be thinking that the clark pump is still a good investment, and I'll assume they know more about it than I do!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32   #9

Hey all,
Tony from Tech Support here, at Spectra Watermakers, a division of Katadyn Desalination, LLC.
Spectra is here to stay, and Katadyn is committed to keeping our products and support top notch. Come see us at the Miami Boat Show, and talk to Bill Edinger himself about the sale.
You can always call and ask for Ray (Sales Manager), or contact your local Spectra Dealer: Dealer Region Map - spectrawatermakers.com
If you have technical or engineering questions you can always call me.

Regards,
Tony Drady
Technical Support
Spectra Watermakers
Katadyn Desalination, LLC

20 Mariposa Road San Rafael, CA 94901 USA
Tel 415 526 2780
Fax 415 526 2787

SpectraH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:46   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
You mean you'd sell out Rich?!

It does seem interesting that Katadyn would buy Spectra, considering we're all hoping that a new tech for making water is about to blossom from nanotubes or 3d printer magic. They must be thinking that the clark pump is still a good investment, and I'll assume they know more about it than I do!
Everyone has a price...but I'm having too much fun at this point, which is why when we were approached last year with a purchase offer we politely declined. Besides then I would feel compelled to get a real job since I already failed at retirement once, so it doesn't quite hold the luster for me at this point.

Spectra is a high quality unit that is here to stay, so for anyone considering buying one I wouldn't let news of this development scare you off one bit.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:16   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Seeing how you would sell your mother for a dozen good tacos, I hope your wife is in charge of business sale negotiations…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50   #12

[QUOTE=SpectraH2O;1739342]Hey all,
Tony from Tech Support here, at Spectra Watermakers, a division of Katadyn Desalination, LLC.
Spectra is here to stay, and Katadyn is committed to keeping our products and support top notch. Come see us at the Miami Boat Show, and talk to Bill Edinger himself about the sale.
You can always call and ask for Ray (Sales Manager), or contact your local Spectra Dealer: Dealer Region Map - spectrawatermakers.com
If you have technical or engineering questions you can always call me.

Regards,
Tony Drady
Technical Support
Spectra Watermakers
Katadyn Desalination, LLC

20 Mariposa Road San Rafael, CA 94901 USA
Tel 415 526 2780
Fax 415 526 2787

What I forgot to mention was your first line of contact for the straight scoop(the guy I call for tech advice), Is Tellie.
SpectraH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:38   #13

Boat: Moody 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
This is not a good development. When Katadyn bought PUR, the doubled the price and made replacement parts harder to get and even more expensive.
Lets hope Katadine improve the service - spectra support could not get any worse here in uk.
cardomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:10   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardomon View Post
Lets hope Katadine improve the service - spectra support could not get any worse here in uk.

I can't speak for the UK but you can always reach me here on CF with any problems you have with your Spectra.
I always like to take a wait and see attitude. But so far I like the direction both Spectra an Katadyn are taking. There are weaknesses and strengths both companies bring to the table. Each companies strengths are going to improve the weaknesses of the other. Forward movement in both new technologies and improving the serviceability of existing systems is moving forward at a quick pace. Katadyn is now a product I will both sell and more importantly service, giving more to new and existing customers of the Katadyn line. Spectra is moving forward with introducing the new Catalina340Z. A smaller foot print, easier to install, more production than the Catalina300, far easier to service, improved features, and right now, the same price as the old Catalia300. Regardless of where you are, you can always reach me here on CF, by E-mail, or on my cell 24/7.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Old 19-03-2015, 16:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardomon View Post
Dear Cardomon , here is Fabio the European Sales and Tech manager for Spectra Watermakers , I'm more than happy to know which problems you face over UK , we just had a training class up there and there are some well skilled and qulified technitians , please fell free to contact me

Kindest regards
Europe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katadyn