Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 11:11   #1

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Sorry, Can't Find Thread on Best Way to Clean SS Water Tanks...

We need to do a thorough clean of the tanks before we set off and with a little googling I have found that my initial plan to do a shock treatment with Chlorine is a big No-No as it causes damage to the tanks. Milton is out for the same reason so despite cruising Cruisers Forum I cannot find any answer as to what is the best way to clean SS tanks. Please help!
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:26   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
If you can access them to get a scrubber of some sort in I have found a couple lbs of baking soda to be the best and least "tasty" choice. I can get my arm into the inspection port and reach all corners of my tank so I use a 3M scrubber and baking soda. A power washer with a 90* bend in the wand would probably work too. Good luck..........m
Old 15-01-2010, 13:05   #3

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
If you can access them to get a scrubber of some sort in I have found a couple lbs of baking soda to be the best and least "tasty" choice. I can get my arm into the inspection port and reach all corners of my tank so I use a 3M scrubber and baking soda. A power washer with a 90* bend in the wand would probably work too. Good luck..........m

Thanks for that but unfortunately we aren't able to get into our tanks. OK not a good design but taking it up with Peterson Yachts now isn't going to work. However maybe putting baking soda in and giving it a good ol' whirl around out there might do some of the trick. Might try that if we can't find a better solution.
Old 15-01-2010, 13:34   #4

Chlorine used for short periods in moderation won't hurt the tanks. You're putting some in everytime you fill the tank with a hose.It takes very little bleach to disinfect. I use 1 teaspoon household bleach per 10 gallons - fill tank, wait 30 minutes - ideally while rolling the boat around in a sea, flush twice.

I'm also planning to experiment with Orange TKO to clean as well as disinfect - it is non-toxic and if there's a slight remaining "orange" taste that seems better than most alternatives. I plan to dilute it well too.

HOME

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 16:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Chlorine used for short periods in moderation won't hurt the tanks. You're putting some in everytime you fill the tank with a hose.It takes very little bleach to disinfect. I use 1 teaspoon household bleach per 10 gallons - fill tank, wait 30 minutes - ideally while rolling the boat around in a sea, flush twice.

I'm also planning to experiment with Orange TKO to clean as well as disinfect - it is non-toxic and if there's a slight remaining "orange" taste that seems better than most alternatives. I plan to dilute it well too.

HOME

Carl

Many Thanks - we are going to go and do that now. At least now we have an idea of how much to use and your right the water we put in has it anyway. We just didn't want to overdo it or do any damage. Thank you so much for help - all of you.

Tags
cleaning, stainless steel, water tanks