Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 08:58   #1

some basic thruhull questions from survey. New boat owner

Thank you all in advance. Our new to us hunter legend has loose thruhulls and we are going to get her to the hard asap to address. I am researching, as well through your experience here. So few questions:

1. Since we are hauling her, I had planned to just replace all thruhulls, the hoses and clamps, have them check the stopcocks. We would haul her out a year from now for a paint job, so should we only change out the thruhulls that are needed now?

2. We cannot do this ourselves, even on the hard. so do I have to have someone beforehand check out the stopcocks to ensure they have parts available?

3. WHY are there so many holes?? It seems excessive, but thats from me, that knows very little, except that there are many to monitor.

4. Here is the picture I have.

5. What else should I be planning for, besides zinc?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	280
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	187056  
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:19   #2

Re: some basic thruhul questions from survey. New boat owner

Please identify what the seacock plumbing is attached to so people can respnd better. If you don't know you might want to get to know your boat.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Please identify what the seacock plumbing is attached to so people can respnd better. If you don't know you might want to get to know your boat.

I believe they are marelon mushroom type with bronze seacocks. Not sure of the specific part numbers. Again, just purchased, and indeed we are trying to get to know our boat of three days, thank you so much for your suggestion.

From the surveyor:
The thruhull fitting for the main engine pickup and an unused thru-hull below the galley stove were loose and could be turned by hand.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:43   #4

Boat: Catalina 36

Why replace them ?? Why not just snug them up??? Removing and glassing over thru Hull fittings is fairly expensive and shouldn’t be your first foray into fiberglass boat repair. Just make sure the seacocks are not gate valves. Should be ball valves.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:43   #5

I'm curious what people think the best thru-hull strategy is, so I'll be reading with interest.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat36Mahalo View Post
Why replace them ?? Why not just snug them up??? Removing and glassing over thru Hull fittings is fairly expensive and shouldn’t be your first foray into fiberglass boat repair. Just make sure the seacocks are not gate valves. Should be ball valves.
They are all ball valves, I simply have no experience and am looking for wisdom with this. Snugging them up, is babble to me. So we considered, no experience versus the possibility of sinking, and thought ok to spend the money.

If you are willing to share any ideas, would be appreciated. Searching youtubes all yesterday and today, but so many opinions of the safety of thruhulls.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

If they are loose, if nothing else, the bonding is gone. They need to come out.

There are several common reasons for being loose, both serious.
  1. The backing plate has rotted out. Replace it with fiberglass.
  2. The hull is so thin the fitting has bottomed out. Not likely, but possible.
  3. They're just loose. But they still need removed and re-bedded. At least they'll come out easily. But usually something made it get loose, like reason 1 or 2.
While they are out, it's generally worth just replacing them and the valves. The hoses, clamps, and barbs may be gone too. Don't know the age or condition.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:43   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Nimbex, you are right to take this situation seriously. You will get lots of opinions online from people you don’t know and can’t tell who actually knows what they are talking about. I want to assure you that thinwater is one of the people who does know his stuff. He is a frequent contributor to several sailing magazines and conducts test of marine products. Take his advice. Also since you are new to boat ownership don’t be goaded into thinking everything should be a DYI. Get referrals from boaters on your dock for a good shipyard. Pay the price but watch over their shoulders so you can learn while you are paying. Best wishes for lots of years of enjoyable boating.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:00   #9

Boat: Catalina 36

I guess the question is the thruhull loose or is the retaining nut[s] loose. I assumed maybe incorrectly if the former there would be water leaking into the boat. Which was not mentioned. If the backing plates are rotten then new G10 plates and renewing is called for. If not he might get away with just tightening the retaining nuts.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post
I believe they are marelon mushroom type with bronze seacocks.
Highly unlikely that you have Marelon throughulls and bronze seacocks. Suggest you talk to your surveyor and find out exactly what what you have what what he recommends regarding "tightening".
Old 03-03-2019, 14:20   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Nimbex, hi and congrats on the new to you boat. I am sure you have noticed that this site is populated by all types with varying experience and it is I find a fantastic resource, however there are some here who denigrate and belittle boat brands and specific products yet when asked why or how to do something better or more productively there is silence....I am sure you will if you haven't already work out those who's postings are to be valued.
I believe that your proposed course of action is the correct one, given that you say that DIY is out of the question.
Good luck and fair winds.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 15:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
If they are loose, if nothing else, the bonding is gone. They need to come out.

There are several common reasons for being loose, both serious.
  1. The backing plate has rotted out. Replace it with fiberglass.
  2. The hull is so thin the fitting has bottomed out. Not likely, but possible.
  3. They're just loose. But they still need removed and re-bedded. At least they'll come out easily. But usually something made it get loose, like reason 1 or 2.
While they are out, it's generally worth just replacing them and the valves. The hoses, clamps, and barbs may be gone too. Don't know the age or condition.
I appreciate your time. I know the hull is solid, as we had a good surveyor and it is fine. Thank you for the feedback.

If I may trouble you for one more question, should we just replace them all, or wait for next year haul out and paint? I know I will get advice from the yard, I am looking for knowledge to base that decision on. Thank you again.
Old 03-03-2019, 15:51   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post
should we just replace them all, or wait for next year haul out and paint?
What is wrong with them that you feel they need to be replaced ?

It's a boat ! You will have lots of things that need a liberal application of dollars without replacing things that may just need some maintenance.
Old 03-03-2019, 16:02   #14

Boat: Valiant 40
some basic thruhul questions from survey. New boat owner

A few thoughts...

We can’t really say why you have so many thruhulls but here’s a list of common uses:

cooling water">Engine cooling water intake
Air conditioning cooling water intake
Refrigerator cooling water intake
Galley sink drain
Head sink drain
Head flush water intake
Head direct flush overboard
Holding tank overboard pump out
Saltwater wash down intake

You get the idea. And for the most part you can’t tee multiple hoses off one intake.

If someone is doing the work for you it makes sense to have them all replaced and to use the best quality bronze thruhulls and seacocks (the thruhulls fitting goes through the hull, the seacock or valve mounts onto it). The cost of labor is going to far outstrip the cost of materials, and if they are all done at once you may have some modest savings on labor and you won’t have seacocks of varying and indeterminate are in the boat.

If some are loose it’s reasonable to assume that the rest are suspect as well.

And so you understand, when the thruhull is installed it is bedded with adhesive caulk, usually 5200, which is what ensures water tightness. If the thruhull is turning, that caulk is shot.
Old 03-03-2019, 22:16   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

https://pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls

This basic information may be helpful.
Some details about your boat would be helpful to those offering advice.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, boat