Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 20:06   #1

Smallest automatic bilge pump?

In the book "This Old Boat," author Don Casey recommends using a small, 400 gph or less bilge pump with internal float switch to pump small amounts of water out without draining the batteries. This makes sense to me. Trouble is, I can't find any pump that matches this criteria. They're all too big (higher amp draw) or don't have an integral switch. Anyone know of one?
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 05:44   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Smallest automatic bilge pump?

They don’t draw a lot of power for a long time. You would probably never notice the amount drawn over a few days as a portion of your total consumption.

Also, don’t waste your money on one with an integral switch. Buy a great switch like the Ultra Junior and a small Rule or Johnson and be done with it. Or just get a whale IC... which has the advantage of being mounted outside of the bilge high and dry with a hose that goes down into the bilge.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:37   #3

Been using the rule full auto for a few years now. Been working great on the ol woody Swiss cheeser. Great little pump, very low consumption, no extra wires and more junk to fail. So much crap in the wooden boat bilge I'm scared to use a floater for it gets junked up easily. Last one gave out after a year and looks like all the oil that escaped to the bilge might be why as the rubber grommet for the wiring was mushed and swollen and let water in. Returned it to west marine under warranty. They also offer an extended warranty makin it a very attractive option $$ wise. We were surprised that it failed even though the ancient one from our first boat is still going strong! Only difference was the oily bilge

Cheers!
IslandHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:40   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

Also, don’t waste your money on one with an integral switch. Buy a great switch like the Ultra Junior and a small Rule or Johnson and be done with it. Or just get a whale IC... which has the advantage of being mounted outside of the bilge high and dry with a hose that goes down into the bilge.

+1,

Forget about internal switch disposable submersible pumps.

For maintenance work a diaphragm pump (jabsco, whale, shurflo, etc) are much better suited. They don’t leak current, last forever, and are able to strip water from the bilge that will leave centrifugal pumps gasping.

Keep a big centrifugal pump mounted higher for big water ingresses.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 08:26   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
+1,

Forget about internal switch disposable submersible pumps.

For maintenance work a diaphragm pump (jabsco, whale, shurflo, etc) are much better suited. They don’t leak current, last forever, and are able to strip water from the bilge that will leave centrifugal pumps gasping.

Keep a big centrifugal pump mounted higher for big water ingresses.
+1

Unless you put a stop valve in the exhaust (which creates its own problems), the centrifugal pumps just keep cycling mostly the same water back and forth.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 09:46   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Depends on your bilge, depth and shape! I Have more than 6ft of lift. Tried a small pump and it just stalled out with no effective output. A 1500 gal worked and gave 2-300g output but did not last. Now gone to an impeller pump and it works much better. The ideal is a single diaphragm pump because of there ability to run dry and not clog but they are really expensive.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 12:43   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The new generation of RULE bilge pumps have a built in float switch, low profile, can be rotated in many configurations, worth checking out the model # LP900S, draws 4 amps.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:10   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
In the book "This Old Boat," author Don Casey recommends using a small, 400 gph or less bilge pump with internal float switch to pump small amounts of water out without draining the batteries. This makes sense to me. Trouble is, I can't find any pump that matches this criteria. They're all too big (higher amp draw) or don't have an integral switch. Anyone know of one?

I also forgot to add that it makes little sense to worry about small amounts of water draining the battery. If there is enough water to drain a battery, no matter the pump size, there are other problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:37   #9

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Rule used to make a 350 or 500 called the mate with an attached switch but I don't see it anymore in the catalog. Looks like Johnson makes a 500 that draws 2.5 amps with an available clip on switch.
Bilge Pumps - Cartridge 500-1250 GPH & Ultima Combo 500- 1250 GPH | Johnson Pump - Marine | Product Detail
Looks like attwood still makes the sahara as well
Sahara S500 500 GPH, 12-Volt : Attwood Marine
That said for long term durability as mentioned I much prefer a diaphram pump for moving small amounts of water from a bilge.
I used to replace the tiny 350 and 500 gph pumps quite frequently when I was a tech at a power boat dealer.
Old 30-01-2018, 16:20   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

I put in a Whale Supersub low profile automatic bilge pump. It works fine as a primary pump for small amounts of water but doesn't go a lot lower than the big Rule main pump. I'd like something that goes down to the last 1/4 inch.
Old 31-01-2018, 15:59   #11

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I put in a Whale Supersub low profile automatic bilge pump. It works fine as a primary pump for small amounts of water but doesn't go a lot lower than the big Rule main pump. I'd like something that goes down to the last 1/4 inch.
I picked up a brochure from these guys:

Arid Bilge Home

These nano pumps are specifically designed to pick up the last dregs in the bilge. Smallest pump only draws 0.36 A.
Old 31-01-2018, 16:11   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

Holy crap!! Did you see the price?
I'll have to wait to win the lottery and commission a new yacht to spend that much just to eliminate sponging the bilge.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump