Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 20:12   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Sink and Shower Drainage

place bilge pumps in a screened in area with a screen protecting that. water will still flow nicely.
another trick with long hair--i have long hair--is to use a solar shower to wash it in cockpit. under way i even use salt water in cockpit for my hair and rinse with fresh and vinegar. works great and no mess in bilges.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:01   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Experience cruising women/men with long hair know how to deal with the "hairy" problem. But using anything that might restrict the flow of water to your bilge pumps should a major leak occur is getting a little too hairy for my tastes.

- - Normal dust and debris are a perpetual problem clogging protective screens, but human or pet hair can flow through any screen and wrap around the shaft of the bilge pump impeller causing failure. Which, of course, only happens when you really need that pump.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If somebody has long hair and likes to keep it "glorious" then invariably there will be a lot of hair working its way down the shower drain. Unless there is a shower box or trap for such stuff, you may be jeopardizing your main bilge pumps. Not a good idea.
Yeah, I used one of those small plastic raw water/pump strainers with the fairly fine screen in it. Most of the hair ends up at the shower sump outlet "strainer", then the raw water strainer gets the rest.
The other system I liked (to avoid a sump/float switch system, or when no room below the shower pan) is to just install a pump with the same small raw water strainer direct to the shower pan and have a switch in the shower area. When the shower pan starts to accumulate water you turn the switch on, the exit fitting can be above waterline and very small....like 3/8 or 1/2.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48   #19

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My drains for the bathroom floor and the shower stall (the only drains leading to the bilge) are covered with a fine screen. Hopefully, that will keep the "baddies" away from the bilge pump.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19   #20

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I agree with others that this should not be a problem.

I disagree with Chuck though, I understand why he suggests placing the 'T' close to the sea cock (to lessen the likelyhood of backup into the sink)... but would personally rather have it it above the waterline then below.

I read that you plan to keep the valve closed when not in use, however it is better to have fewer failure points in the hose below the waterline.... if you 'T' in above, you do not create as many failure points with the ability to sink the boat.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower