Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 08:34   #31

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’
Re: simplified plumbing, Composting and "direct deposit"

Just gross, and arrogant to think you are ok with dumping your dodo overboard let alone running around with no way to clean yourself. Composting toilets are a joke as well, and soon, if the boating community continues to embrace this myth there will be an up swelling and ultimate ban on these devices in marinas and anchorages as these toilets only eliminate offensive odors, but do nothing to neutralize the waste itself. Might as well poop in a Walmart bag and save the cost of the “toilet”. And oh we all want to witness as well as anchor where a host of other inconsiderate people pour over their collective urine. While they may sound attractive, these are not progressive solutions when functioning and proven sanitation systems exist. Sodium Percarbonate, by the way, does wonders for all the usual gripes about tank based sanitation systems. Or be honest and install an incinerator.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 08:40   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
Just gross, and arrogant to think you are ok with dumping your dodo overboard let alone running around with no way to clean yourself. Composting toilets are a joke as well, and soon, if the boating community continues to embrace this myth there will be an up swelling and ultimate ban on these devices in marinas and anchorages as these toilets only eliminate offensive odors, but do nothing to neutralize the waste itself. Might as well poop in a Walmart bag and save the cost of the “toilet”. And oh we all want to witness as well as anchor where a host of other inconsiderate people pour over their collective urine. While they may sound attractive, these are not progressive solutions when functioning and proven sanitation systems exist. Sodium Percarbonate, by the way, does wonders for all the usual gripes about tank based sanitation systems. Or be honest and install an incinerator.
That’s just it. “Functioning and proven sanitation systems “ (for small boats) DONT exist.

Desiccating heads are the closest to passing that test.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 08:43   #33

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Strong opinions, but uninformed. Troll much?

Let us know when you have more direct experience or valid information or (heaven forbid) some questions about composting toilets and we can have a real conversation.

Here's some question you might ask others or investigate-

Do composting toilets smell? (ours doesn't)
What happens to the poop in a composting toilet?
How do you dispose of the contents of a composting toilet?
How is a composting toilet different from pooping in a bucket or bag?

I could answer all these questions for you but your attitude doesn't motivate me to take the time and tells me that my effort would be wasted on you.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 08:44   #34

So not true, in my forty years experience they have done so.
Old 15-09-2020, 08:54   #35

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Quote:

HAHA!! That has to be one of the most uninformed answers I have read on the subject of composting.

Please do some reading about the differences between sewage and excrement. Its no small difference.

The current popular system which is the combination of urine and excrement, does absolutely nothing to neutralize anything- it actually creates a thing called: sewage. Which is far and above worse for everyone than either urine or excrement on their own.

So while your system may appear far superior because you never see or deal with your bodily deposits, I can promise you that only a little bit of research on the matter will reveal that the creation of sewage is worse than what any dry toilet is capable of making. (Assuming the proper separation of urine/excrement)

Now I will agree with you, that "composting" is a bit of a misnomer and that the disposal of the results require some care. But do not make high claims you do not understand- it helps no one.
Old 15-09-2020, 08:55   #36

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Direct deposit. No running hot water. OK, I’m game. How exactly do you wash your hands. Are you a single sailor? Here’s a hint. Women actually wash more then men. It’s a scientific fact. Bad hair day because there is no warm running water. Bed sheets that smell? Funky towels? Underwear? Yikes.

My wife and I spent four months technical alpine. As soon as we hit running water, even an ice cold stream, she would wash her hair. Some kind of black bag hanging in the sun gonna do it? Happy Valentine’s Day sweetie.

Here is a summary of two actual science papers. First, almost all human carry exterior fecal material. Interesting. Then bidets became popular because of the tp hoarding. Excessive use of a bidet or wet wipes changes the composition of the micro flora which can result in an explosion of bad bacteria or yeast. Dry after washing. Actual medical studies.

So now we have a pandemic and washing your body, your bum, and your hands.

Just curious. Unnecessary? Foolish? Now back to direct deposit.

How would you feel if manatees used their big paddle to flip their biscuits into your boat. Kinda marine air freight. They are mammals. They live in the ocean.

You just visit, so offshore it’s what...ok to poop in their drinking water.

I’m so pleased you posted because in court, it’s evidence of prior intent.

Happy trails to you kimosabi.

Captain Mark and his clean manatees

Well, I assume that manatees poop and pee in their own drinking water. I’ve never seen any, but I’ve seen plenty of dolphins poop as they play on our bows and I’ve even seen a Humpback whale poop - and that was a huge amount!

At sea I can’t see any problems with direct deposit - it’s all about dilution. And irrespective of non discharge zones (which trump anything in this conversation) I totally agree about not depositing solids in confined and near coastal waters. But pee? What’s the problem with that, it’s mostly water anyway?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 08:57   #37
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

We have extensive experience with composting heads, traditional holding tank setup and also the use of the Lectra-San. With this experience I feel qualified to call your post absolute BS and mis informed.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 08:58   #38

Composting the way you do it is not composting, it may deal with the smell but you composted boaters do not allow the months it actually takes to render you waste neutral, maybe you should research what you preach. You are putting untreated human waste in trash cans, and I suspect many others are just dumping theirs overboard “because it doesn’t smell”. So yes you are pooping in a bag and dumping urine in the water. Next I will probably hear the ocean dilutes urine, that was the excuse of water polluters in the 70’s “the solution to pollution is dilution”, as well as the poop bags are “disposed of responsibly “. Yea, just like the plastic water bottles and trash along the roadside. Get more than 25% of boats in a marina using composting and they will be banned.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:00   #39

Quote:
So not true, in my forty years experience they have done so.
IF you enjoy a constant low level stink in your boat

IF you don’t mind handling sewage when doing black water plumbing

IF you don’t mind doing maintenance and special things to the pumps and valves

IF you don’t mind leaking tanks

IF you don’t mind taking the whole boat to the dock when the tank is full

IF you don’t mind wasting your fresh water and all the weight involved in carrying around water to mix with your waste

OR IF you don’t mind a stinky salt water bowl...

Then I GUESS there are proven small boat systems.

Most of those things (especially the smell) are deal breakers for me.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:02   #40

My excrement ends up in a regulated waste water treatment system, composters may be aspiring to the high ground that they do everything right in disposing of their poop bags, just that is not true anywhere else in this world, and if composting systems grow in the boating world so will the abuse.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:05   #41

Quote:
My excrement ends up in a regulated waste water treatment system, composters may be aspiring to the high ground that they do everything right in disposing of their poop bags, just that is not true anywhere else in this world, and if composting systems grow in the boating world so will the abuse.
Dog waste?

Small human (baby) waste?

Right in the regulated solid waste stream. It’s well within the law.

You aren’t too sure what you’re talking about. Instead of hating, you should be reading up.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:06   #42

Well if your boat stinks, so be it. Minimal research will show you that sodium percarbonate will eliminate tank odors completely as well as sludge, tank wall coatings, and many of the other problems associated with conventional systems.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:19   #43
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Well if your boat stinks, so be it. Minimal research will show you that sodium percarbonate will eliminate tank odors completely as well as sludge, tank wall coatings, and many of the other problems associated with conventional systems.

Your boat stinks, but not to you as you’ve grown accustomed to the odor.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:22   #44

“Within the law” neither means it’s sanitary or right. Most dog waste ends up outside where it composts naturally. My reference is relative to how well humans handle other garbage issues, and how 100 boats in a 300 boat marina would handle their poop bags if composting toilets are really all they are made out to be. So you expect the same people who police the other trash that is not handled properly to clean up poop bags?
The other objections to tank based sanitation expressed above and that are also espoused as great advantages to “composting” are pure admissions of laziness to go get a pump out or manage your effluent. Of course I suspect these are from those owning boats with little black water tankage.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:25   #45

Sorry, your completely wrong as to boat odor on my vessel, maybe you need to do your own research with recognized authorities on marine sanitation. Sorry you have not been able to manage the smell on your own boat.

Tags
plumbing, posting