Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 09:32   #46
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: simplified plumbing, Composting and "direct deposit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
Sorry, your completely wrong as to boat odor on my vessel, maybe you need to do your own research with recognized authorities on marine sanitation. Sorry you have not been able to manage the smell on your own boat.

We have no holding tank odor as we have a composting head.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:38   #47

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Well now that’s not always the case is it? Actually did extensive research on “composting” heads for my RV. Read numerous reviews and Q&A on several sites where there were many issues with fans, urine wetting the coir, kinked or blocked vent piping; there were many issues that resulted in stink and bugs.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:40   #48
smj

simplified plumbing, Composting and "direct deposit"

Quote:
Well now that’s not always the case is it? Actually did extensive research on “composting” heads for my RV. Read numerous reviews and Q&A on several sites where there were many issues with fans, urine wetting the coir, kinked or blocked vent piping; there were many issues that resulted in stink and bugs.

So you have no experience with composters other than reading?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
And here I am thinking you are an expert.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:46   #49

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Ok then, reading is not allowed. Stirring poo is the only way to enlightenment I gather. Done with you.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:04   #50
smj

Quote:
Ok then, reading is not allowed. Stirring poo is the only way to enlightenment I gather. Done with you.

Reading is of course allowed, and there’s a large group of composting Head users here that really know their $h!t.
Old 15-09-2020, 10:04   #51

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Composting toilets are a joke as well,

Just one more Pooper Trooper that has never been to their local landfill........

The amount of crap going in there makes some dried out poop, in a bag, look pretty safe........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:06   #52

Wait..........

Did I just coin a new phrase:............ Pooper Trooper.........
Old 15-09-2020, 10:32   #53

damn it............. Beat:

https://poopertrooper.com/

Wonder if they flush it......... or dumpster it ??????
Old 15-09-2020, 18:32   #54

Boat: Spindrift 43

A true s#!t show as only CF can stir up!!!

In my 16 years of boating/cruising/living aboard, I’ve gone from the raw water manual pump heads, to fresh water only manual pump heads, to the vacuflush system (again freshwater only), and I’m now learning the composting system installed aboard my latest purchase.

One of my first orders of business was to rip it out and get a more traditional solution reinstalled, but the lack of head odor is really remarkable- so much so that I’ve decided to give the composting system an honest shot. I have always been meticulous about maintaining a pleasant, livable smell below decks, and beside the 2 year old motoryacht I last owned, this is the most odor-free boat I’ve ever owned. The black water tankage had been emptied, cleaned, and disconnected some time ago and it really is remarkable when compared to the 4 other boats I’ve had.

I have not yet emptied it, so I’m not quite ready to sing it’s praises from the rooftop just yet, but I certainly do see the appeal. And one has to assume there are accepted methods of waste disposal, otherwise these systems would be harder to get ahold of than a plastic straw.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 18:37   #55

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
Back in the 1990/early 2000's I was production manager of a boat building company, building large (50 to 80ft) trawler yachts.

We offered an option of a urinal in the Portuguese bridge, an outside sort of wall forward of the pilot house. Made of Stainless steel sheet material and plumbed to the holding tank, the urinal turned out to be fairly popular with male crew.
I keep thinking I want to mount a plastic urinal from a portable-potty in my head, with a hose into the toilet bowl....or maybe it could be plumbed I to the tank directly.

I think it would keep the head floor cleaner in choppy seas.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 18:56   #56

Boat: Rafiki 37

Well, the last two pages were fun. It never ceases to amaze me how this subject brings out the most uninformed, yet loud and bousterous, babblers. timb7734, as others have already said, you clearly and demonstrably know little of which you speak.

Go get some actual experience, and then come back and tell us what you think. Composter heads are definitely not for everyone, but that doesn't mean they're not an excellent option to deal with human outflows.
Old 15-09-2020, 19:37   #57

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, the last two pages were fun. It never ceases to amaze me how this subject brings out the most uninformed, yet loud and bousterous, babblers. timb7734, as others have already said, you clearly and demonstrably know little of which you speak.

Go get some actual experience, and then come back and tell us what you think. Composter heads are definitely not for everyone, but that doesn't mean they're not an excellent option to deal with human outflows.
And the irrational hate for composting toilets really is surprising. I mean, I don’t hate the smelly ones with all of the pipes. I just don’t want to deal with them. Ha ha but I don’t hate them. Why do people hate composting toilets?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 19:38   #58

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
I keep thinking I want to mount a plastic urinal from a portable-potty in my head, with a hose into the toilet bowl....or maybe it could be plumbed I to the tank directly.

I think it would keep the head floor cleaner in choppy seas.

Greg
I would love to install a urinal. But I want to work for my girlfriend also. Starts to just become a toilet again at that point. Ha ha.

Incidentally, when they use the dye to test if your system goes overboard, they usually flush it. But I wonder if they could pour some down the urinal and get you on that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 20:43   #59

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Gentle readers. Surely this thread cannot just dissolve and float away. The original poster asked a question (well he sort of answered it in several long posts but anyway..) we are obliged to do our best to comment and / or provide insights based upon our collective knowledge and experience. I do not believe we have exhausted ourselves. I’ll go first. In the dry North Africa, children run behind cows because water is so limited, the cow pee provides a brief shower. Cow urine is quite diluted and almost sterile. Please note one of my strenuous objections to the OP original posts was the microbiological nature of his hands post bowl transit.
Hand washing in you own urine might benefit your natural microbial balance.
I shall investigate the medical literature and report back.
With regard to the biscuits produced by my fuzzy faced friends? Given the difficulty of securing an adequate supply of tissue, i believe they would be safe to remove any of your excess fecal matter. Sun dry first.
Again, please do not call them sea cows or dugongs.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his scrupulously clean manatee friends
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 18:15   #60

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I would love to install a urinal. But I want to work for my girlfriend also. Starts to just become a toilet again at that point. Ha ha.

Incidentally, when they use the dye to test if your system goes overboard, they usually flush it. But I wonder if they could pour some down the urinal and get you on that.
Well, for me, sailing on Lake Michigan, there is no dumping overboard.
What I meant was to have the urinal mounted on the bulkhead, keeping the toilet where it is. The urinal, since it is higher than the tank, maybe can be plumbed directly to the tank (not sure that works on a heel though...maybe needs a shut off valve in the hose). Or it just drains into the toilet bowl, which has to be pumped dry after use.

Just trying to make it easier for the Wednesday night sailing boys to hit the target

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, posting