Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 22:30   #16

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Shower Sump Brand and Design Recommendations

I have done this 4 different ways. I have put in the Jabsco shower sump. It fit the space well and cost me about $120. So far so good
I also built a box out of fiberglass to fit an odd shaped space. I installed a round deck plate with o ring seal on the top of the box to get access for installing the bilge pump and float .For a screen, I used a piece of aluminum window screen zip tied to the inside of the thru hull. I like using the Attwood double-ended through hull connector, part number 3878-3. You can attach the hose from the shower drain to the outside of one of these connecters, and the screen on the inside. A second one of these connectors is connected to the bilge pump output, then on the outside of the sump you attach the hose that goes to the through hull above the water line.

For a bigger sump I bought a 3 gallon tank from tank depot instead of making my own.

finally, for a big bathtup I used a Rule 17A pump, It has a 1 1/2 input and output. Between the bathtub and the pump I put in a Shurflo strainer 253-401-01. This pump has to be installed below the water level of your tub or shower. It moves water very fast, and I wired it to a 25 amp circuit breaker switch. No float switch. You just turn it on when you get out of the bathtub. This cost about $300--expensive but works very well.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 11:07   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Shower Sump Brand and Design Recommendations

Thanks for the information. Now I have a lot of decisions to make. I guess the biggest decision is to make what I already have work or buy or build something new or to go expensive or cheap. My first attempt was building my own but I used inferior materials so it is disentegrating slowly and didn't work that well to start with.
kind regards,

Tags
shower, shower sump