Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 03:55   #1

Boat: capricorn classic 38
Shower/basin sump pump

Hi all, last weekend while brushing my teeth I noticed that the sump pump seemed to be noisy and ran for what seemed like for ever. I pulled up the carpet and the floor cover. First thing I noticed was water in the bilge where there never has been before. So I turned the basin tap on and watched what happened. The sump filled faster than the pump was emptying.
I disconnected the out let and the water being pumped out was very low so I removed the pump for a better look.
On opening up the pump (Jabsco 2.9GPM) I noticed that the orifices/valves were full of hair, fluff and stuff I don't really want know what it was.
I cleaned it all up and reinstalled and it was able to keep up.
I am wondering if this is the correct type of pump for this purpose as it seems to be the same type as the fresh water pressure pump for the boat only this has an accumulator.

cheers James
capricorn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 04:36   #2

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Re: Shower/basin sump pump

James - The pump you named is a water-pressure style pump - and yes, it is designed to provide pressure for a water system. Good news - it's a pump and moves water. Bad news - its a pump for "pressurizing" vice simply pumping out grey water (over-kill...IMHO). If you are happy with performance (when it is clean)...you may want to check to see if you have a screen/trap filter inline between the sump and the pump-if not, install one to catch the debris that slips down your basin drain...and clean it out routinely (we clean ours every 2-weeks).

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower