Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2022, 14:35   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Re: Shock the Hot Water Tank

Rumrace,

That adaptor gadget looks great but i cannot find it for sale on the internet nor on the Beneteau website. can you give me a link please?
Andrew
Old 27-05-2022, 03:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
That's (sweet & sour) kinda sorta how some people describe sulfur dioxide gas (there is no such thing as "sulfate gas.") It's what you get when you "pickle" things, like a watermaker with bisulfite. Perhaps what you were trying to describe in the long post above...
You’re correct - I misspoke.
Sulfate [SO4], in groundwater, is dissolved from naturally occurring minerals, contained in soils, aquifer rocks, and sediments. It does not produce gas, and is odorless. Sulfate can add a bitter taste to water, and can cause scale buildup.

Waters with concentrations of hydrogen sulfide, or hydrosulfuric acid [H2S] from 0.5 to 1 ppm smell "musty" or "swampy."
Concentrations greater than 1 ppm smell like "rotten eggs".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 05:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Rumrace,

That adaptor gadget looks great but i cannot find it for sale on the internet nor on the Beneteau website. can you give me a link please?
Andrew
You mean these? I purchased brass ones because the plastic ones seemed to break too easily. I believe the one in Rumrace's picture is 3D printed.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 15:22   #19

Boat: Amel 50

Here's an update. I disassembled the tank. The anode was effectively shot as some suggested. The inside of the tank had some debris, but was overall clean and shiny. New heating element / anode on the way. Note to self, replace it every few years. For reference, it's a Quick B3, 40 liter, 1200 watt unit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7070.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	258485
Old 27-05-2022, 15:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
New heating element / anode on the way.
Although it took quite a bit of scrubbing, I was able to clean my heating element and it worked fine. Just a consideration if you want to save a few bucks (I think I was quoted $120 for a new heating element, while the anode was ~$20).
Old 27-05-2022, 16:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ohare View Post
Although it took quite a bit of scrubbing, I was able to clean my heating element and it worked fine. Just a consideration if you want to save a few bucks (I think I was quoted $120 for a new heating element, while the anode was ~$20).
You’re right that the element was easy to clean. The issue is that the anode (or whatever the scaly extension in the picture is) was so corroded, it was hanging by a thread and looked ready to break off.

Another thing I noticed was that after supposedly draining the tank through the purge valve, there was still quite a bit of water in it. That suggests there was standing water all winter long. It wasn’t in contact with the heating element, but I mention it for those who drain their boilers for the winter, it’s a good heads up that you may need to pump out the remaining water. There doesn’t seem to be enough pressure for it to drain completely from gravity alone. I’ll try to pump it dry next winter.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 27-05-2022, 16:53   #22

Quote:
The issue is that the anode (or whatever the scaly extension in the picture is) was so corroded, it was hanging by a thread and looked ready to break off.
That might actually be the thermostat - not the anode. The anode would have been long gone. (If you look at the base, you should see an empty hole where the anode used to be.) And if the thermostat is hanging like that, it's likely not working/measuring temperature properly so sounds like you made a good decision to replace it all.
Old 27-05-2022, 16:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ohare View Post
That might actually be the thermostat - not the anode. The anode would have been long gone. (If you look at the base, you should see an empty hole where the anode used to be.) And if the thermostat is hanging like that, it's likely not working/measuring temperature properly so sounds like you made a good decision to replace it all.
No, the thermostat is a different rod that is removed before the heating element comes off. It was in good shape. But thanks for the caution.
Old 28-05-2022, 01:14   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here's an update. I disassembled the tank. The anode was effectively shot as some suggested. The inside of the tank had some debris, but was overall clean and shiny. New heating element / anode on the way. Note to self, replace it every few years. For reference, it's a Quick B3, 40 liter, 1200 watt unit.
Attachment 258485
That pic is the heating element.
This is the anode: ➥ https://www.svb24.com/en/quick-magne...s-boilers.html

Old 28-05-2022, 04:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
That pic is the heating element.
This is the anode: ➥ https://www.svb24.com/en/quick-magne...s-boilers.html

That is the anode that you show. In the diagram, 8 is the heating element, and A is the anode, but it's all sold as a unit, at least by QuickUSA. I didn't know the anode was replaceable independently of the heating element.

I'm going to start with a new heating element unit (including the anode) because it's such a corroded mess, but it would be more economical to just replace the anode if possible going forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heating Element.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	258498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick Unit.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	258499  

Old 28-05-2022, 04:17   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... I didn't know the anode was replaceable independently of the heating element.
I'm going to start with a new heating element unit (including the anode) because it's such a corroded mess, but it would be more economical to just replace the anode if possible going forward.

Yes, apparently, sold separately @ €13.40
https://www.svb24.com/en/quick-magne...s-boilers.html

Tags
water