Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 15:39   #16

Re: Setting up a propane system (stove on demand hot water)

To be clear, that water heater locker needs to be sealed from the rest of the boat, like the propane tank locker. Will you be venting it with a pipe and out let? or trying to use the deflector? I'm not sure there's enough height in most boat lockers to just use the heat deflector...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 17:10   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Is your Crowther 150 a catamaran, mrbyas?

Our mono, has two separate lines, one for the stove and one for the on-demand water heater. The water heater itself is vented to the out of doors through a deck vent, and is in the shower compartment, where a fan that blows air through the shower comes on with the water pump. In addition, there is a port. There have been no problems with this installation, either for the previous owners, nor ourselves (since 2003, for us.)

I would like to comment here that if the water run is long, the on-demand is a bit of a joke, as it has to pump the cold water to SOMEwhere, preferably not one's skin. What would be good would be a thermostatic switch that would turn the water back to the tank until it was a comfortable temperature, then let it flow through.

Ann
Old 11-06-2021, 18:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Is your Crowther 150 a catamaran, mrbyas?

Our mono, has two separate lines, one for the stove and one for the on-demand water heater. The water heater itself is vented to the out of doors through a deck vent, and is in the shower compartment, where a fan that blows air through the shower comes on with the water pump. In addition, there is a port. There have been no problems with this installation, either for the previous owners, nor ourselves (since 2003, for us.)

I would like to comment here that if the water run is long, the on-demand is a bit of a joke, as it has to pump the cold water to SOMEwhere, preferably not one's skin. What would be good would be a thermostatic switch that would turn the water back to the tank until it was a comfortable temperature, then let it flow through.

Ann
Good point Ann. Unlike many here, I like the on demand, but when I have had them, have always used them near the source and used them like a propane stove; Switch propane off after showering and on before. My 4119 camping unit was far superior to my early unit and provided fairly steady temperature heated water.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, stove, water