Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 11:23   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Schenker & Aqua-Base Watermakers

Seeking direct experience and knowledge of the Schenker & Aqua-Base energy recovery type watermakers. I have found enough on the Schenker to feel it is a good unit. Haven't really found much of anything about Aqua-Base.

I would explain the request more, but I think will just result in thread drift. Please if you know and just want to plug some other watermaker try to move along.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:34   #2
CLOD

Re: Schenker & Aqua-Base Watermakers

I found another watermaker builder using a energy recovery pump, Osmosea.

That makes 3; Spectra, Schenker, Osmosea making watermakers using this. They all say they are using a patented pump. I now believe that probably means that the pump design is patented, but not by them.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:10   #3

Boat: Hylas 44

Hello sailorboy1,

Osmosea is new to me and seems to be another copied version of the original Clark’s pump (Spectra) design.

Based on my experience of buying a used Spectra 380c in need of repair after numerous years of service in harsh conditions according to the previous owner. I rebuilt the unit myself using the detailed instructions found on Spectra website in addition with the excellent service received from Halden marine ( distributor) and Technical advice from Spectra itself, I would classify this company as #1.

About Osmosea, it seems to be a new player in this industry and based on the lived experience of a new owner for this kind of equipment (see the following link) I would wait until this new manufacturer be more experienced.
http://www.osmosea.nl/thewholestory.html

Finally, the Aquabase ES, seems also to be a generic version as Schenker is but with more experience than Osmosea seems to have.

Personally, unless the price is significantly lower, I would definitely go for a Spectra unit.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:44   #4
CLOD

turns out there is a Marine Watermakers Discussion Group on Facebook and that is much more effective in gaining experience info

thanks go out to CtHoops
Old 05-07-2020, 08:00   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Our current watermaker is a schenker modular 35 that I bought used and assumed dead.

To be fair to the brand, our unit is a 2006 model, there have been some improvements in the seals over the years.

That said, I completely disassembled the unit, removed all components from the modular frame and disposed of the electronic controls. So we’re not a throughly representative sample.

Post my rebuild of the unit we’ve got about 50 hours on it, no problems, making around 40lph with TDS in spec.

Support in the US is difficult, parts specific to the unit are available, shipped from Italy.

The schenker wasn’t my first choice, but I’m pleased with it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:10   #6

Funny, sailorboy1 started a thread couple minutes ago and said that according to himself, it is not enough productive and he is now inviting us to go on Facebook!
I’m not encouraging Facebook, thank you [emoji4]
Old 05-07-2020, 08:26   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound44 View Post
Funny, sailorboy1 started a thread couple minutes ago and said that according to himself, it is not enough productive and he is now inviting us to go on Facebook!
I’m not encouraging Facebook, thank you [emoji4]
sorry, but that is NOT what I said!!!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:45   #8

Boat: Jeanneau gin fiz,38ft

Hi all,
we have Schenker 30l since 2008, bought second hand in Curacao.Sailed 30.000 NM and used it regularly (daily). Except with some minor problems with seals no problems at all. 2011 I add second hi pressure pump (so now I can make 30 or 60 lit/hour with same setup. Schenker send me new pump to Panama and some other spares, so I am satisfied with customer support. PPM,s are 260 t0 500 (depends of water temperature ).
NESH,SY BASJAKO
basjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjako View Post
Hi all,
we have Schenker 30l since 2008, bought second hand in Curacao.Sailed 30.000 NM and used it regularly (daily). Except with some minor problems with seals no problems at all. 2011 I add second hi pressure pump (so now I can make 30 or 60 lit/hour with same setup. Schenker send me new pump to Panama and some other spares, so I am satisfied with customer support. PPM,s are 260 t0 500 (depends of water temperature ).
NESH,SY BASJAKO

Hi Basjaco,
Would you please tell me what is the brand and model used on your Schenker watermaker.Originally used on my Spectra is a Shureflo model 8050-273-169 (2 GPM, 7,6 l/min; 125 psi; 14 amps) and I am looking for an equivalent model since the OEM seems to be proprietary and pretty expensive.
Old 05-07-2020, 13:50   #10
CLOD

It is a Shurflow diaphragm pump, $394 from us Schenker dealer
Old 05-07-2020, 14:19   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

That post of the troubles this fella had trying to get his water maker working... with all the import problems... Ai ya. I would have lost my cookies.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 14:29   #12

Boat: Jeanneau gin fiz,38ft

Dear Northbound44 my pump is Shurflo diaphragm pump (I am not at my boat now so I can not check exact number), but Shenker do not use Hi pressure pumps, Hi pressure in system is achieved by energy recovery system (2 pistons on side of unit). I do not know is this helpful, but it works. Consumption is CCA 6 to 10Amps.
basjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 16:06   #13

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

I had a Schenker smart 30 on the last boat. I worked well. I had to rebuild the ERS once, had a craked end cap, and an issue with the SS pressure relief valve fitting stripping out of he Alloy housing after 6 years of heavy use.

90 % of all the problems i had were air induced.

they are pretty simple, good customer support out of Italy, and parts are not that expensive. Id buy one again

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 16:34   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I found another watermaker builder using a energy recovery pump, Osmosea.

That makes 3; Spectra, Schenker, Osmosea making watermakers using this. They all say they are using a patented pump. I now believe that probably means that the pump design is patented, but not by them.

Baitek and Eco Sistems both make watermakers with energy recovery pumps. We have a Eco Sistems based set-up - HRO and SeaRecovery used their pumps- and love it for its durability.... but its solid stainless steel, so not exactly light weight.

Matt
Old 05-07-2020, 17:52   #15

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I was able to buy a 2nd hand Schenker 12 volt Smart 60 water-maker.
I had it services then installed. I found It makes 10% more fresh water than 60 litres advertised Per Hr. It takes 3 hours to fill 2 x 100 litre tanks.
I have no generator I power my boat with 720 watts of solar panels into 12-volt, 215 x 4 = 860 Amp AGM battery’s. What I like is that you can switch one of the two water pumps off in the system to reduce the amount of product water from 60 to 30 litres per hr. also the smart 60, the membrane is standard replacement size.
The membrane freshwater back-wash is from the same boats water tank, which uses about 15 to 20 Litres to remove salt water from the membrane system. This means you do not need to install a separate water tank for back washing. Also, the backwashing setup has a carbon filter, this protects your membrane in case you have town water in your tanks which can damage the membrane.
What surprises me how little power the unit uses all is solar 12-volt power driven in my setup. I do not have to run my engines alternator to replace the power used by the water maker my solar panels are more than enough with plenty to power to spare. So far, I found it to be a wonderful water maker, water quality varies from 170 to 270 PM. The key point of consideration is how much fresh water can a water maker make? I was told 60 litre per hour is too much for my 200 litres tanks. I found it is just right capacity as you lose about 20 litres in back washing the membrane at the end for water making cycle. Which leaves me with 180 litres of fresh water. Since I live on my boat mostly, I would not be happy to have a smaller capacity water maker unit. As it would take too long to fill my tanks. So far, I have had it running for two months every two weeks, I’m very happy with the Schenker Smart 60 water maker.

Hope this is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Seeking direct experience and knowledge of the Schenker & Aqua-Base energy recovery type watermakers. I have found enough on the Schenker to feel it is a good unit. Haven't really found much of anything about Aqua-Base.

I would explain the request more, but I think will just result in thread drift. Please if you know and just want to plug some other watermaker try to move along.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker