Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 18:47   #16

Re: Scarcity of"RV" type antifreeze

I bought my winterizing load of RV antifreeze at West Marine in NH this past weekend. They must have had 100 cases of it on the floor. No shortage there and the price at 4.99 wasn’t too bad. Be careful where you use the Walmart brand, it contains alcohol it’s ok for most piping but shouldn’t be used in engines because the alcohol promotes corrosion.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 19:38   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Lots everywhere in Traverse City, Michigan. Groceries, hardware, lumber yards. Even We$t Marine has several pallets at just a bit over $4.00
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 03:08   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Alot of you are saying Ethylene glycol cannot be used in potable water systems, I guess no one told Wal-Mart, or general rv or west marine.... All of them sell potable system winterizing antifreeze that has EG and PG mixed.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 04:58   #19

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Alot of you are saying Ethylene glycol cannot be used in potable water systems, I guess no one told Wal-Mart, or general rv or west marine.... All of them sell potable system winterizing antifreeze that has EG and PG mixed.

Hmmm. I’ve never seen that at West Marine. PG and alcohol yes. EG in potable water?
I doubt that.
Ethyl alcohol? Maybe.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 08:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I bought my winterizing load of RV antifreeze at West Marine in NH this past weekend. They must have had 100 cases of it on the floor. No shortage there and the price at 4.99 wasn’t too bad. Be careful where you use the Walmart brand, it contains alcohol it’s ok for most piping but shouldn’t be used in engines because the alcohol promotes corrosion.

Ken
Walmart price for the SuperTech RV / Marine antifreeze is US$2.58 per gallon.

It does not have alcohol as an ingredient and will not promote corrosion.

It contains water, propylene glycol, glycerin, a corrosion inhibitor and dye.

RV/Marine Antifreeze solutions do not contain ethylene glycol.

Reference label below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walmartrv.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	224080   Click image for larger version

Name:	wrv.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	224081  

Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 08:56   #21

Quote:
I don't see anyone making a claim that it cannot be used in potable water systems. I specifically mentioned that there are two different products offered by Home Depot and Walmart.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/South-Wi...-202530435-_-N

$5.48/gallon
RV Antifreeze can help protect your recreation vehicle (RV), boat, cottage or pool against extreme freezing temperatures. This ready-to-use winterizer is bio-friendly for safe and effective protection. Not for use in internal combustion engines.

Propylene glycol-based formula, better for (will not dry out) rubber seals and lines in the system
-------------------------------------------------

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Uni-Gard...-202994610-_-N

$3.27/gallon
Anti-Freeze is an alcohol and propylene glycol based anti-freeze and heat transfer fluid. Premixed to provide -50° F burst protection when used full strength. Not for use in internal combustion engines.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 10:08   #22

Quote:
That is a rather dangerously incorrect statement.

Reference the Home Depot RV / Marine antifreeze Safety Data Sheet attached below. Supplier is Dow.

Propylene Glycol is practically non-toxic.

Ethylene glycol is not used in potable water systems or mixed in RV/Marine water system antifreezes. Ethylene glycol is moderately toxic, with an oral LDLo = 786 mg/kg for humans. The major danger is due to its sweet taste, which can attract children and animals. Upon ingestion, ethylene glycol is oxidized to glycolic acid, which is, in turn, oxidized to oxalic acid, which is toxic. It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system, then the heart, and finally the kidneys. Ingestion of sufficient amounts is fatal if untreated. Several deaths are recorded annually in the U.S. alone.

Antifreeze products for automotive use containing propylene glycol in place of ethylene glycol are available. They are generally considered safer to use, as propylene glycol isn't as palatable and is converted in the body to lactic acid, a normal product of metabolism and exercise.

Australia, the UK, and seventeen US states (as of 2012) require the addition of a bitter flavoring (denatonium benzoate) to antifreeze. In December 2012, US antifreeze manufacturers agreed voluntarily to add a bitter flavoring to all antifreeze that is sold in the consumer market of the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homedepot DOW antifreeze SDS.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	224086   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDSDS.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	224087  

Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 11:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Walmart price for the SuperTech RV / Marine antifreeze is US$2.58 per gallon.

It does not have alcohol as an ingredient and will not promote corrosion.

It contains water, propylene glycol, glycerin, a corrosion inhibitor and dye.

RV/Marine Antifreeze solutions do not contain ethylene glycol.

Reference label below.
This is good news. It used to have alcohol in it - I read it on the label myself at the store but that was several years ago. Obviously they have changed the formula for the better.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 11:28   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

An issue with sourcing ethyl alcohol in the US, is that by federal law all of it that is not sold and taxed as liquor is “denatured” that is poisoned, this law came into effect I think during prohibition, and a great many people were killed and rendered blind from it.

So if you get ethanol in the US anyway, be very very certain it’s not poisoned.

Ethylene glycol (normal automotive antifreeze) is extremely toxic, pets will drink it, and they die of kidney failure when they do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 16:19   #25

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

At my marina today, in the ship's store, there was 2 pallets of Star-Brite anti-freeze with a recall sign on it. The Star-Brite anti-freeze was manufactured inproperly and is recalled. They said that Camco brand isn't available, and they were trying to source it somewhere else. Large yard, they winter store almost 1,000 boats, so I am sure they have buying ability.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 19:09   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Yes, I was wrong it's mixed with ethyl alcohol,
My bad,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:30   #27

Try to drain you water systems. A little ice in a tank won't damage it. Many water pumps especially diaphragm/swash plate types will suck out weer and air and can also be used to blow air. Years ago I was astounded to find the plumbers antifreeze I bought was alcohol based not glycol. Seemed to me the alcohol ate my new head parts and fermented in the system leaving a noxious taste and odour. Reinforced clear tubing can take freezing but check for low points - you don't want any of the solid fittings full of water - convert those to drain taps. Foot pumps at sinks are great - remove exit hose and pump away till more or less dried out.
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:10   #28

I used the -50 stuff 2 years ago...left one jug outside it froze solid in -25.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:12   #29

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I used the -50 stuff 2 years ago...left one jug outside it froze solid in -25.
That's normal. The -50 stuff freezes around 15 degrees or so, but it'll take -50 to get enough expansion to burst a copper pipe. Plastic will burst around -10 or so.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:55   #30

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC View Post
Try to drain you water systems. A little ice in a tank won't damage it. Many water pumps especially diaphragm/swash plate types will suck out weer and air and can also be used to blow air. Years ago I was astounded to find the plumbers antifreeze I bought was alcohol based not glycol. Seemed to me the alcohol ate my new head parts and fermented in the system leaving a noxious taste and odour. Reinforced clear tubing can take freezing but check for low points - you don't want any of the solid fittings full of water - convert those to drain taps. Foot pumps at sinks are great - remove exit hose and pump away till more or less dried out.
"A little ice in a tank won't damage it." Absolutely correct.

A little ice in water lines, pumps, etc. = one more repair job for the spring prep.

Tags
antifreeze, arc