Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2020, 09:28   #1

Scarcity of"RV" type antifreeze

For those of us in northern climates, I was told by a boatyard that they were having problems getting the pink antifreeze (known as RV antifreeze-50) as it is in short supply. I get the last 5 gallons at Walmart today. Home depot didn't seem to have any where they usually have pallets in an isle. Don't know how extensive the shortage. I'm in Ct. (USA)
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:35   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Scarcity of"RV" type antifreeze

I haven't personally been there yet (still a few weeks away from picking up winterizing supplies), but the website indicates my local West Marine has a ton in stock. Hopefully it stays that way, as I need 6 cases of the stuff to winterize everything on my boat...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 09:35   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Literally pallets of it here (Petersburg, AK), at both the hardware and auto parts stores. A lot of boats never got used this summer because of travel restrictions (non-resident owners) so less than normal winterizing going on.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 16:17   #4

Lots of it here in Maryland as well. Might just be a local shortage or you got unlucky in the stores you went to.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 16:52   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

No problem in southern Ontario.
Old 22-09-2020, 18:12   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Just wait a few weeks it’ll come back.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 18:15   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Saw a shelf full at Walmart in Jacksonville Fl today
Old 22-09-2020, 18:22   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Buy glyco 100% and mix 50/50 with distilled water.

??

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:21   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Buy glyco 100% and mix 50/50 with distilled water....

Ethylene Glycol as in auto antifreeze is toxic. It's also sweet tasting. If you have pets be very careful using and disposing of Ethylene Glycol antifreeze.

Propylene Glycol is the RV antifreeze and is not toxic. Completely different beast from car antifreeze. Better to drain and blow out lines with air and use vodka (or moonshine/poutin) or IPA alcohol as an antifreeze if proper RV style or Propylene based glycol is not available. If you have the white vinyl hoses you should not be using glycol based antifreeze anyway.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:25   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

If someone cannot get antifreeze, you can blow your lines out with air, or you could run alcohol through the lines.Maybe some salt water solution as well.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:27   #11

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I was in the Defender Marine store in Waterford, CT yesterday and they had several pallets sitting on the floor. Maybe 100 gallon jugs or more......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:32   #12

Marine/RV antifreeze seems to be around everywhere here. There are pallets stacked in West Marine and Defender Industries. I wouldn't buy it at either Walmart or Home Depot. Mostly because both places will interchange Ethenol with Propylene Glycol. Ethenol is much cheaper and doesn't work as well as propylene glycol.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 10:38   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Ethylene Glycol as in auto antifreeze is toxic. It's also sweet tasting. If you have pets be very careful using and disposing of Ethylene Glycol antifreeze.

Propylene Glycol is the RV antifreeze and is not toxic. Completely different beast from car antifreeze. Better to drain and blow out lines with air and use vodka (or moonshine/poutin) or IPA alcohol as an antifreeze if proper RV style or Propylene based glycol is not available. If you have the white vinyl hoses you should not be using glycol based antifreeze anyway.
a. Glycol (EG or PG) is easily disposed through any recycling center. Aquatic toxicity is very low and equal for both. It is only mammals that are extremely sensitive to EG.

b. Vodka is a very poor choice for AF. It is expensive and you need 2 parts vodka to 1 part water to keep it strong enough that it cannot ferment. It is tough on hoses. An urban legend that just won't die.

c. IPA is quite toxic. Twice as toxic as EG. Never. Ethanol is acceptable.

d. Vinyl. In fact, PG is less harmful to vinyl hoses than ethanol. Google chemical compatibility. Also, I have tested this for publication. PG is also harmful to neoprene head parts and water pump impellers (they get hard). The least harmful is EG (in part why it is used in cars), but EG cannot be used in potable water systems. However, EG can be used in engines, AC, and blackwater systems.

I use EG in the blackwater and AC systems, and PG in the potable system, except when I'm lazy and use PG in everything (safer if you are easily confused). Recycle the waste and don't leave open containers of any of these around. Why would you?
Old 23-09-2020, 10:40   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Ethylene Glycol is an interesting one. Highly toxic to mammals, but also biodegradable.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 12:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
If someone cannot get antifreeze, you can blow your lines out with air, or you could run alcohol through the lines.Maybe some salt water solution as well.
Compressed air is a common method of winterization if one can't just drain by gravity. Antifreeze of the RV type is best for use in traps. Alcohol is flammable and it also is a solvent which parts of the plumbing or tanks could not be compatible.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, arc