Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2022, 22:36   #31

Re: Sanity check - cutting throughul for a new valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Coulda been just lucky, it happens a lot. Ask him how the rest of his thru hulls look.
Actually not too bad. I was very surprised by the amount of effort and the strength of the 3/4 thruhull i had to cut. Despite its suspect appearance on the outside (some corrosion), i really put a wrench on it and it didn't break. The cut showed that the metal was still full thickness, strong, good color and if it wasn't fore the broken valve handle, it would have been just fine for many more years to come.

Just for the sake of full disclosure - the handle broke not because the valve and handle were terrible corroded, but because the valve was not exercised or lubricated by the PO. For me it was always really hard to move and one day it just froze and wouldn't budge. I've putt too much force and broke the handle pin, since it was the weakest point.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 22:52   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
Actually not too bad. I was very surprised by the amount of effort and the strength of the 3/4 thruhull i had to cut. Despite its suspect appearance on the outside (some corrosion), i really put a wrench on it and it didn't break. The cut showed that the metal was still full thickness, strong, good color and if it wasn't fore the broken valve handle, it would have been just fine for many more years to come.

Just for the sake of full disclosure - the handle broke not because the valve and handle were terrible corroded, but because the valve was not exercised or lubricated by the PO. For me it was always really hard to move and one day it just froze and wouldn't budge. I've putt too much force and broke the handle pin, since it was the weakest point.
So you have BSP thread with an O-ring on the valve?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 09:30   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:

Great! Glad it was an easy fix.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 09:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So you have BSP thread with an O-ring on the valve?
No, I believe it is an NPT. I got the valve from the West Marine. No O-ring, but I do use threat sealant to further prevent leaks.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 12:20   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
No, I believe it is an NPT. I got the valve from the West Marine. No O-ring, but I do use threat sealant to further prevent leaks.
Hmmm. The fitting is either BSPP (when you believe the crowd on CF) or it is NPS thread. Either is a straight or parallel thread and incompatible with a NPT valve.

For emergency it’s okay when you made it work, but you really need to replace it next haul out.

A new Groco fitting has combination thread which is NPS where the nut goes and NPT where the valve screws on. You can’t cut these down to fit because that removes the NPT compatible end.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2022, 13:18   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Sadly this is the case and then the fittings is blamed on dezincifivstion , and al, that BS. Ball valves have a weakness in that shaft is comparatively small and can simply be sheered out of subject to too much force.