Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 10:55   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Sanitation Line Transition

In the photo below you will see a transition piece between the toilet and the sanitation line. There were the same pieces were the sanitation lines met the fixtures on the black water tank.

That seems like a place for added risks of odor and leakage. Why are they there? Is it to add some flexibility in the final few inches for a stiff pipe.

Do I need them again when I replace the piping? If so what are they called?

Thank you as always

Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:03   #2

Re: Sanitation Line Transition

No picture, so it's difficult to visualize what you're describing. Are you referring to the hose fittings on the tank? The fitting is threaded (male) to be fitted onto the tank and the barb end is for the hose connection?

These would be necessary to connect the hose to the tank or the head.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:28   #3

Sorry this is it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transition .jpg
Views:	104
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	204694  
Old 09-12-2019, 19:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

I'd need to see it from a different angle to be sure, but I'm guessing they're a POs solution to a toilet discharge line that's the wrong size for the discharge fitting on the toilet and inlet fitting on the tank. The discharge fitting on the toilet should accept the correct size hose (1" or 1.5" depending on the make/model of the toilet). You'll only need the correct size thread-barb hose fitting to connect it to the tank.

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 12:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I'd need to see it from a different angle to be sure, but I'm guessing they're a POs solution to a toilet discharge line that's the wrong size for the discharge fitting on the toilet and inlet fitting on the tank. The discharge fitting on the toilet should accept the correct size hose (1" or 1.5" depending on the make/model of the toilet). You'll only need the correct size thread-barb hose fitting to connect it to the tank.

--Peggie
Peggie,

Thanks for your help with this. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I wanted pull all the information together and the boat is about 2 hours away.

I am being very detailed about this because I need to order a new black water tank and I want to make sure I order with the correct details.

The outflow of the head is 1 1/2" in diameter. The interior diameter of all the hoses associated with the black water tank is 1 1/2". The same transition piece exists at the black tank end.

I can't figure out why its there. It seems to me that standard 1 1/2" hose could have gone straight to the outlet/inlets at the tank and head end?

Am I missing something? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Transition.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	205968  
Old 31-12-2019, 13:23   #6

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

The transition piece you're referring to is really a hose termination that was/is typically used with that type of hose. If you just connected that hose to a barb it would not seal. If replacing the hose with standard sanitation hose, just use 1-1/2 hose without those ends.
andrzej0nl1ne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 15:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

I'll be darned... It's been so long since I've seen corrugated hose with cuffs in a sanitation system that I completely missed it in his photo till I took another look after reading your post...Good catch!

Nobody paid much attention to sanitation hoses till holding tanks came along. Corrugated hose had a brief run in the 70s and 80s, till people figured out that the corrugations trapped waste and sea water minerals, plus it permeates pretty quickly and first hoses actually rated for sanitation--smooth interior walls with a helix that prevented the hose from collapsing--came along... #148 flex pvc, which is still on the market from several mfrs 'cuz it meets that standard and has the lowest price. Unfortunately it often permeates very quickly too. Higher quality, more permeation resistant-- and therefore higher priced--hoses began showing up in the mid-90s and continued to evolve until now there are several that have proven to be just about 100% permeation resistant. It's the last place you want to save money by going with cheap hose if you only want to go through the misery of replacing hoses just once.

Btw...Happy New Year, y'all!

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 14:01   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

My holding tank system uses Peggie's concept using K.O. oxygen breathing bacteria. As such, it requires twin large diameter vent lines at the top of the holding tank. Also at the top of the tank is the waste line from the toilet, which is a Lavac, using a Henderson manual bilge pump to transport the waste into the holding tank. All large (1 - 1/2 inch) hoses are Shields Poly X Premium. The two vent hoses are attached to barbed fittings on the port and starboard side of the bow, allowing for positive pressure air flow to the tank. Because the tank is above the waterline, it can be drained (in appropriate conditions by simply opening the large plastic ball valve above the boot top. Gravity feed, no macerator to fail. Immediately upstream of the valve is a tee and hose leading to a deck clean out fitting. No smells. Thank you, Peggie Hall!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 16:47   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO35

Im replacing my sanitation hoses this weekend. On the plastic U shaped part with the anti siphon valve (above the water line) there was a thin black rubber sleeve on each end. Not sure if these helped to form a better seal between the hose and the U tube or some other purpose. Do I need these?
Also the hoses connected to the holding tank seemed to have some type of white bath caulking between the hose and the steel fittings. Should I reapply some type of caulk? Thanks
joljaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joljaz View Post
Im replacing my sanitation hoses this weekend. On the plastic U shaped part with the anti siphon valve (above the water line) there was a thin black rubber sleeve on each end. Not sure if these helped to form a better seal between the hose and the U tube or some other purpose. Do I need these?
Also the hoses connected to the holding tank seemed to have some type of white bath caulking between the hose and the steel fittings. Should I reapply some type of caulk? Thanks
Joljaz, I'd encourage you to put up a direct post regarding this in the Construction, Maintenance forum (this forum)

Peggy Hall will most likely reply. She is is the wizard of heads systems.