Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 11:13   #31

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Salt Water to Sink

One thing you might want to consider: don't use a thru-hull on the same side of the keel as the macerator pump outlet. If it were my boat I would not use the sink water if any time near a pump out through the macerator (for those of you who can legally pump waste out).

Probably not a good idea to tee in to the toilet flush intake hose either although I would think the possibility of back flow should be remote if a proper above the water line loop/vent is used before the toilet. Actually, a loop and a vent should be used for the salt water pump for the galley too.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 12:47   #32

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The Whale Mk. 3 foot pumps are great - I use them exclusively for fresh water in the galley and head, plus for salt water in the galley. Fresh water is just too valuable to waste with a pressure system on this size boat.

I haven't had the salt water foot pump hooked up for a long time - I found that I didn't use it very often. This certainly does have to do with having an RO watermaker (PowerSurvivor 40) which takes some pressure off extreme water conservation. I do use the salt water spout at the sink for the first output of the RO unit when starting up, testing output, then collecting enough fresh water to flush the system at shutdown, before valving the output to the tanks. A Y-valve selects between the RO unit and the foot pump for use of the spout.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:08   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Lots of good stuff....different firmly held points of view, well substantiated. Here's mine: it's based on 19 years living aboard a 33 foot monohull (including marinas and remote cruising), and 14 years living aboard a 45 foot cat (including full time chartering, marinas and some cruising). No matter how you cut it, fresh water is better for the boat, whether it's frequent (often daily) rinses outside, flushing toilets, cleaning gear or washing dishes. Most of the "salt in the air" is actually salt on the hands and feet! I have lots of gear that has lasted for years and years because we rinse salt off hands and feet, as well as the gear.

The real question is not whether fresh water is better, but whether it is worth it to go all fresh water. It takes a watermaker and the energy to run it and considerable water storage. It was a struggle on the 33 foot monohull, but a success, nonetheless, thanks to liberal use of a garden sprayer for almost everything, often including dishes. (How many people use these, anymore? They are still a great piece of kit.) The water maker was a Power Survivor 35, eventually upgraded to a PUR 40. And, I got to know just about every inch of it. But, I did not have to spend time lugging jerry jugs of water, in the Sea of Cortez, and the boat remained pristine. Rain water was not an option, needless to say, and I had a lot of solar panels.

On the cat, it's a no-brainer. I have a far more efficient Spectra watermaker, lots of panels, and a generator. The boat stays spotless and the stainless needs polishing about once a year, period. NO rust stains, no corrosion, and no clammy upholstery. It's easy to tell the difference between a salt/fresh water boat and a 100% fresh water one. Of course, running charters, I have an additional incentive to keep the boat pristine, but also additional challenges, as well. However, it's my considered opinion that it's just as much time/money maintaining boats and gear that get lots of salt water on them as it is to wash and rinse everything in fresh water. My water system has two pumps (one a back-up), and a manual one as well. I got rid of the salt water deck pump after carefully analyzing how much water it then took to rinse stuff off, or the cost of not doing so. When you get onboard my boat, you rinse your feet. If you have been in the water, you rinse off before you get off the swim platform. After a hard upwind beat, I rinse off the decks. My boat is 19 years old, but always gets compliments on her condition and how she looks and smells.

Let me re-iterate that this is my own experience, starting with buckets of salt water used for lots of things and concluding with fresh water everywhere. But, on a smaller boat, or with no watermaker, you may have a different answer.

I smile when I tell my guests the water maker is really for the boat and its gear, and not people, but I am only half joking!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 19:32   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I wonder if water temperature should be a consideration for washing food utensils with seawater ?

I think that Tropical Waters carry far more infectious components than cold waters like in the Baltics.
No proof, just a gut feeling as I get more infections diving in warm, vs cold waters
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, water