Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2020, 12:17   #1

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
salt water system

im putting together a plan for my washdown system and was trying to use the pump for more than one thing. was thinking about installing a pressurized saltwater system. i found a Marco 12e pump made for washdown on thier european order site. instead of high flow this pump was higher pressure 70psi at 4-5gpm. i also have a good high flow diaphram pump with 1" inlet/outlet

on demand pressure saltwater
connect to deck wash spigot
connect to a restraunt style sink sprayer to help clean dishes using pressure
maybe connect to a seperate shower spigot
found a bronze solonoid valve for the toilet, toilet wiring currently runs a seperate pump only when its flushed.
is it possible to use this as a low pressure feed pump to a watermaker?

Am i off base with this? is it not worth my time to continue thinking about this? would it work reliably? how do i make sure its safe? any reccomendations?)

thanks

V/R

Robert
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 12:52   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: salt water system

Some people sear against saltwater systems in the cabin because of increased corrosion and dampness (salt draws water).

If I was going to do a shower, it would be transom or cockpit.
Old 23-07-2020, 13:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I have a similar system, but use an ordinary 35 PSI diaphram pump. Really, 2 GPM is plenty; your home sink probably does 1 1/2 GPM. Yes, it feeds the water maker and the foredeck anchor chain washdown just fine. I use pressurized fresh water for the heads, though. If you have plenty of freshwater, as you will with a water maker, freshwater in the heads avoids a lot of smelly problems. If you use pressurized water of any sort on an ordinary (Jabsco, etc.) head that expects to use suction water, you need a separate valve that is only opened when you start the macerator pump, because pressurized water will leak through the suction pump. If you use your drinking water, I've been advised by others on the forum that I need a stop valve as well, to make sure that there is no back flow of bacteria into the tank.
Old 23-07-2020, 14:00   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
...If you use your drinking water, I've been advised by others on the forum that I need a stop valve as well, to make sure that there is no back flow of bacteria into the tank.

Correction. You need a backflow preventer. Not just a valve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backfl...vention_device

This is what the code calls for. Even Home Depot has them. Not cheap. These are even required on lawn sprinkler systems. There are freshwater heads that incorporate this thinking. You can probably build your own with double spring checks and a siphon break, but you would need to understand the engineering.

Old 23-07-2020, 14:13   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
im putting together a plan for my washdown system and was trying to use the pump for more than one thing. was thinking about installing a pressurized saltwater system. i found a Marco 12e pump made for washdown on thier european order site. instead of high flow this pump was higher pressure 70psi at 4-5gpm. i also have a good high flow diaphram pump with 1" inlet/outlet
Robert

Robert,
Jabsco makes a similar pump ("Hotshot"; 70 psi, 6 gpm) that we use for our anchor wash down. This would save you from paying for shipping from the EU.

We only use it for the anchor and try to keep as much salt out of the inside of the boat as possible.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 22:12   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a pressurized sw system with a pressure tank. It feeds the watermaker and is used for deck, anchor wash downs. Mine is a shallow well pump. About 6 gpm.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 09:42   #7

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

Thank you for all the replies. Is good to feel that others have the similar ideas. I dislike a one use pump that sits and corrodes or gunk's up from disuse. Thinking that a system that is used more will be better off and not smell as much from dead critters.

The toilet is a Raritan marine Elegance toilet that came with salt and fresh flush. I do like the idea of the backflow preventer and will have to see how it compares to a check valve. The picture actually looks like a much more robust version of the toilet plumbing minus the solenoid for freshwater. The pump that comes with the toilet is incredibly loud.

I'm replacing the freshwater pump and could reutilize the old one for a salt pressure system. It's a jabsco pump about 3-4gpm. I also have the big electric diaphragm pump with 1" inlet outlets. Not sure what the flow is. It's simpler and I guess i have to put a well style pressure switch on it to make it work this way.

Thank you all again
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, water