Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 17:15   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Rule Mate 500 Auto

I have just installed a Rule Mate 500 Auto pump in my bilge on a Little Harbor 38. The bilge is not that large and the pump might be 4-5 or so feet below the outlet which is above water. I first installed it without any check valves but the pump when on auto will not turn off after pumping everything out. If I switch it to manuel and then back to auto it does stay off. I thought maybe the "head" of water still in the hose was causing this so I did install a check valve. Unfortunately the pump still will not shut off on it's own. I did try the pump in a bucket and it does turn off correctly after 5-10 seconds when taken out of the water so then float does work in perfect conditions.

Any ideas? This is the new Rule Mate 500 with the special no oil float.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 18:47   #2

Boat: Alberg 37 "Joan III"
Same problem here. Spent a lot of time and money on trying to make this work. Strangely enough the second pump I installed at a higher level works without problems. Just today had a call with the mechanic and we decided to give up and go back to the traditional separate float switch connected through the three way switch (on/off/auto). My guess is that these pumps are very sensitive to even a minimum of dirt. I didn't like the lack of testing possibility without getting in the bilge and pushing the little test button.
GalvestonBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:46   #3

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35
Re: Rule Mate 500 auto

I had one of those, it's not a float, it's a load sensor, that water in the hose keeps a load on the motor, it may stop some times, other times it won't,
These things are not good, use a float or electronic switch,
thy one of these SEASENSE #UNM-50010425 PUMP BILGE 800 12V AUTOMATIC PUMP 3/4" OUTLET
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 16:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Rule Mate 500 Auto

Hi Juniper, I don't think he has one of those Rules with the load sensor. You're right, those were awful. They turned on for a couple of seconds every two minutes or so. The noise would drive you nuts!
I think Safari38LH has one of the new Rule-Mate RM500A pumps. It has some sort of magic water sensor. Here is how Rule describes it:
"When water enters the bilge and reaches a certain height (2-3/4 inches) a sensor turns the pump on. After the water is pumped out, another sensor shuts the pump off.
The sensor's unique "field effect" technology is programmed to recognize the dielectric constant of water only. In the event of an onboard oil spill, straight motor oil that enters the bilge will not turn the pump on." I don't know what all that means but Johnson and Whale have come out with similar systems. The older Rule-Mate RM500 had a real float switch in it and was pretty reliable. I work in a marine store and sell these things so the feed back from the real world that I get here is very helpful. On a personal note I did install one of the new "Magic" Rule-Mate pumps on my boat and it works fine. It does seem to run a little longer than it needs to. Maybe the magic sensor needs time to dry? I have no check valve in the discharge line so water does run back when it shuts off. If you are unhappy with your Rule-Mate take it back to the dealer. Jabsco / Rule has a very liberal return policy.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 18:30   #5

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Along this same line...

what is the preferred float switch? It's time to replace the switches on my boat as they don't always turn on when they should.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 18:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Along this same line...

what is the preferred float switch? It's time to replace the switches on my boat as they don't always turn on when they should.
I like Sure Bail
Old 08-05-2011, 05:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ultra PumpSwitch

http://www.tef-gel.com/contain.php?p...mpswitch_infor

http://www.tef-gel.com/contain.php?p...ch_instruction

TEF-GEL - Ultra safety systems - Home page

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 18:03   #8