Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 16:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Routing LPG Lines

I have decided to ditch my 2 40Lb tanks and swap for two 20's, keeping one on line and one spare.
Now for where to put them. I have a 1986 DC model and was wondering where and how to route my LPG line into the boat. My latest thoughts are to put the LPG tank on the Fly Bridge and route the gas line down through the existing hole along with my steering cables. This would get the line into the boat and down into the engine compartment and up into the forward head. From here I can go through the bulkhead and make my connection to the stove from possibly the cabin under the stove.

This takes care of my stove. Now for item No. 2. Can I get a "Y" or "T" connector and put it in the forward head so I can connect to both the stove and instant-on hot water heater? Or, do I have to run 2 separate lines from the Fly Bridge? I haven't checked yet so I am not sure if either or both of these items requires a regulator or not. If both do or both dont I have no problem and I'm back to original question about "Y" or "T". If one does and one dont require a regulator, then I have no choice but to go with 2 separate lines.

Thanks in advance.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 17:07   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Routing LPG Lines

My understanding is that ABYC specs do not allow a tee inside the cabin.
Old 28-12-2012, 17:08   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I use a "T" but its frowned upon, and its definatly not inside the boat. I run everything on the outside of the boat and only enter right at the stove & furnace. 2 separate holes. I'm abit different and constantly drill holes everywhere and dont care. I dont even sleep on it. I use hard copper for the long runs and swap to rubber before going into the cabin. Propane is great stuff, just be carefull.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 17:15   #4
cruiser

The ABYC is guidelines, some here live by it and reference it constantly. Others like myself, understand safety and make sound choices. Be glad were not down under as their gas laws are very tough I hear.
Old 28-12-2012, 19:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

In the past, I have purchased the flexible gas hoses with the connections which I believe were factory made hoses - maybe not - just made up by a local gas supplier, not sure. Anyway, I will continue to use the flexible hoses and not have to worry about vibration but that's just me.
Rather than have a "Y" or "T" inside the boat, maybe I could get or make a small manifold outside.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 19:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
The ABYC is guidelines, some here live by it and reference it constantly. Others like myself, understand safety and make sound choices. Be glad were not down under as their gas laws are very tough I hear.
I'm downunder, and had my gas lines professionally installed and certified. There IS a T connection inside the boat, behind the galley stove..
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 20:08   #7
cruiser

I like rubber, but if a line is going to be bolted down every 12" I dont see vibration as a issue. If you go to a local propane place they can make straight hose runs to length for cheaper than a marine supplier. But shop around as I've seen quoted prices vary over $100 for the same unit. I do food service vending at large music festivals and burn lots of propane. I build lines, systems, manifolds, as every show is slighty different. Flared copper is very safe if done right.