Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 09:08   #1

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender
Richard Kollmann's Refrigeration Book

I am getting a little frustrated here, I tried to buy his book via his website, but failed due to the site insisting that if I use a US delivery address, my banking address should also be in the US. So I tried as an 'International ' buyer. This also failed because as an 'International' buyer, I cannot use a US postal address. So I sent Richard an email AND a PM, several weeks ago, neither of which he has replied to.

Has anyone else bought his book and found it worthwhile or should I just get over it and move along?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 09:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Richard Kollmann's Refrigeration Book

Excellent book!
I've sent Richard a PM, directing him here.
Good luck.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:25   #3

Thanks Gord

I hope he responds to your PM; he didn't to mine, for some reason.

He has given me such good refrigeration help in the past, that I think having his book is as important as having a freezer on board (so that Sir can enjoy his cocktail with ice).
Old 21-09-2015, 11:40   #4

If he doesn't respond, email me and I'll give you his tele #. He is the expert and the book is very good. Bob Tigar
bjtigar@att.net
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:38   #5

Thanks to Bob Tigar, I was able to speak to Richard. Unfortunately, he doesn't have credit card facilities or a PayPal account, so I am stumped.
Old 22-09-2015, 08:06   #6

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Thanks to Bob Tigar, I was able to speak to Richard. Unfortunately, he doesn't have credit card facilities or a PayPal account, so I am stumped.
Send him a thick birthday card (or so) and pack the money in there.
Did that a lot of times from Canada to Germany and never a prob. If it goes wrong you may loose, how much? 25 Dollars?

El
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

When operating basically a non profitable business providing free service calls and technical advice for over 30 years there can be logistical problems. My first of five books on boat refrigeration was printed using a TI 4 computer and memory from a sound tape player. With the many changes in boat refrigeration designs over the years and companies interring and leaving this very small industry, revising my books frequently was required, hence the total of five books. In 2004 after my last book I advised all future revision to my books would be electronically posted free on my web site and on my refrigeration forum.

Changes over the last year by customs clearances, my credit card company changes, thefts of book in transit and 18,000 spam entries to my forum in the last 4 months are forcing me to look for a ways to keep my hobby active. I am not retiring as I did already retire 26 years ago. For the last 10 years I communicate only by E Mail spending 4 to 6 hours every day helping boaters with refrigeration troubles and questions. Those who did not like my advice and wanted to overload my refrigeration forum were successful so it is temporarily shut down. Because of mailing problems to third world countries I will refuse orders to the countries where problems have occurred. The company that processes credit card purchases for me changed hands to a Canada address. They will reject book orders if books are to be shipped to a separate countries address from card holders address.

I receive so many e mail requests for help I handle every one that truly need help first others must wait for an answer. Sorry but that the way it is.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:32   #8

Hi Richard, I agree about postage to 3rd world countries; that is exactly why I use a US based mail forwarding service.
Old 22-09-2015, 08:34   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

You DO NOT need to offer an justifications to those of us who have learned from you and appreciated you counsel for many years. Living offshore, as I do, I know the international problems of completing a project. New folks on the forum just need to ask for directions.
Old 22-09-2015, 08:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
You DO NOT need to offer an justifications to those of us who have learned from you and appreciated you counsel for many years. Living offshore, as I do, I know the international problems of completing a project. New folks on the forum just need to ask for directions.
Well said and my sentiments too. Richard is one of the kingpins of this forum.
Old 22-09-2015, 09:16   #11

Whoop, whoop. A friend of mine that is based in the USA saw this post and has now ordered the book on my behalf and I have sent him a bunch of beer tokens as thanks. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 22-09-2015, 09:23   #12

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I bought Richard's book around 2002-2003. I studied it carefully and incorporated much of his advice in rebuilding my fridge/freezer. Many thanks to him for what he has contributed over the years. I hope you manage to get the book somehow.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 09:39   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I know you'll find his book invaluable. It's a wealth of information all in a fairly concise well written format.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 10:19   #14

Boat: KP 46

After purchasing Richard Kollmann's book, I sent him an email with a problem I had with my freezer. The following days he spent hours sending me emails answering each and every question I had. We resolved the problem with zero expense, (expansion valve filter was clogged), and my freezer works to this day.
If you need his book and can not get it, pm me, I will happily pay for his book and send it to you, I owe him much more than the price of his book.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 13:01   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Its the 21st century. Paypal is the bank of the internet. Its free (for new users), and only takes a few minutes to set up.

Having said that, I've done the birthday card thing too. Unused wedding invitations work just as well.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration