Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 09:35   #1

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA
Replacing Sealand Model 806 - need elongated seat/bowl

Our old Sealand Model 806 vacuflush toilets work great. I do the routine preventative maintenance, replace the duck valves every couple of years, track down loose clamps/leaks when necessary, and basically have no issues - well except for the important one **Seat Size**. Our current 'round' seats have openings that are 8"x9" and I'd like to get up to something more like our elongated home seats that have 8"x12" openings.

I know I've read some forum posts here about elongated seats/bowls to replace the older Sealand 'round' seats (I must be a search function Luddite because I can't find them) and the majority of replies (as I remember) are suggesting Raritan electric/maceration models.

Personally, I'd just assume stay with Dometric brand & vacuflush technology simply because it would require the least amount of 'configuration' change in the entire black water system (two toilets). Something like the model 506 looks right for me, but there aren't any specs (that I can find) that have the seat's hole dimensions - the seat itself and the 'wall to front of toilet' required distances seem to be all I can find.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been getting no where trying to explain/get the info from a nearby distributor, they simply want to push the newest electric toilets, which of course are the most expensive. Their big comeback is always all vacuflush bowls have round seats, which I'm pretty sure is not true.
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 10:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Replacing Sealand Model 806 - need elongated seat/bowl

806 is only the model # for your bowl...You should be able to order a replacement bowl in the style you want. VacuFlush elongated bowls are 500 series bowl assemblies. V/F is also popular on RVs...I found this one https://www.dyersonline.com/amfile/f...product/10576/

It has the specs you're looking for. Be prepared for sticker shock when you see their price, shipping will add quite a bit to that 'cuz toilet bowls are HEAVY.

So before doing anything, call Dometic/SeaLand's main office/facility in OH...they'll be able to give you the name and contact info for their "authorized" dealer/service center in FL. 800-321-9886

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:02   #3

Thanks Peggie, I've obviously not phrased my question correctly.

The info you've mentioned matches what I've researched. I have been talking with the local authorized Dometic dealer. The 'seat/bowl' dimensions on the site you've recommended match what's available in the install manuals from Dometic's site, (size of the 'seat' itself). Unfortunately, that's not the information I'm interested in.
What I'd like to know is the dimensions of the 'hole' in the seat - that's what I was trying to find out. I was hoping someone had a 506 and could tell me the dimensions of the 'hole'.
Old 22-08-2020, 18:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Drop by the plumbing dept of any big box store and check the sizes of the toilet seats' outer and inner diameters. I think you'll find that all the elongated seats will be a very close match to those on the V/F toilets.

If you don't like that idea, just ask the local V/F dealer to measure 'em for you.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 13:22   #5

DONE. Probably the easiest 'upgrade' I've ever done on the boat.

If you have an old Sealand (Dometic) vacuflush system and would like to upgrade to a more modern bowl/seat (more elongated) I can't say DO IT more strongly. Aside from the better seat dimensions, we wanted a 'cleaner/smoother to the touch' look & feel too since both the bowl and seat were an 'off' brown (not the bone color they should have been) color and rough to the touch from some type of cleaning agent the PO had used to clean them

Initially, working with the local Dometic guys, I was frustrated because all he would 'push' was getting a new Dometic 500 series toile to replace the original small/round bowl/seat. WRONG, I just wanted a new bowl. Since it wasn't something they carried, I grew tired of the 'push' (As Peggy mentioned above , it's all about the bowl) and did a little research and found a great recommendation to visit Seacoast Services. After a quick conversation with George, I had two of their 5000 Series Bowls, and all new seals on the way.
https://seacoastservices.com/

Instructions came with both the bowls and seal (pretty much the exact same procedure listed) and each bowl was replaced, and re-tested, in less than half and hour.

Old

New

Tags
model