Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 09:04   #16

Boat: Leopard 42
Re: Replacing Hot Water Lines

I have some metric pex and the shark bite didn't seal but whale fittings do!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MotuIti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 10:34   #17

If you use "Sharkbite" type fittings on Pex you should use inserts that go into the pipe. They do work. I wouldn't put the pex any closer than 18 inches to the water heater, but it probably would be fine.
Dennis1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 10:50   #18

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I am in the process of re-plumbing my entire boat with 3/8" pex tubing and sharkbite brass barbed fittings that use the compression rings. I purchased everything on Amazon but Home Depot does carry a few of the basic 3/8" fittings. People mention the really expensive compression tool but it is only around $25 on Amazon.

I am using a Manabloc water manifold and each circuit is a home run, not daisy chained from one fixture to another. The will allow me to turn off/on each water circuit independently for maintenance, etc.

I have a fairly complex water system with 2 heads/showers/sinks, galley sink, washing machine, ice maker, watermaker, etc.

So far I am really impressed with how easy the tube is to route and how well the fittings install.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 11:08   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

I'm a big fan of the Uponor/Wisbro ProPex line of tubing and fittings. I replumbed my entire house with it and it's superior to the metal crimp types.

However, the tool is _amazingly_ expensive. For a few connections on a boat, sharkbites are great.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:50   #20

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

180+ water is too dangerous to use as it presents a severe scalding risk! Modern marine water heaters are equipped with an anti-scald mixing valve that protects the system from producing scalding temps. You can find them on-line. I would strongly recommend that you incorporate one on your tank while you replace your lines. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 02:52   #21

Boat: Shannon 43

I am using a Manabloc water manifold and each circuit is a home run, not daisy chained from one fixture to another. The will allow me to turn off/on each water circuit independently for maintenance, etc.e secured

I am planning the same set-up, ManaBloc and 3/8" PEX tubing on my Shannon 43. Where did you place the ManaBloc manifold? I'm having trouble finding enough room for it considering the Outlets each tube is supposed to go straight out for a few inches and be secured somehow.
SailinSlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water