Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 12:46   #1

Boat: Block Island 40
Replacing a seacock while in the water?

While closing my Marelon seacock for my deckwash, the handle came off! Yikes! Good thing it closed before that happened. Unfortunately, water started to weep out from where the handle was, so I used some emergency tape across the opening which so far has stemmed the leak. My question is, am I now stuck with a haulout for replacement or has anyone done this while in the water? We're in NC and the water is a brisk 45F.

Thanks in advance.
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 12:55   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Replacing a seacock while in the water?

I recently saw a cheap product designed to do exactly this. I’ll try and look it up. I want to say a 3 pack was $20.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 12:59   #3
rbk

Nope. Not $20 but still seems to make an in water replacement easy unless you’re willing/able to get in the water, then you can do it with a plunger, plastic bag, tack bing just about anything.

Seabung
Old 16-12-2018, 13:25   #4

Boat: Block Island 40

Thanks for jogging my memory about Seabung. I remember having seen it sometime in the past. $56 US for two different sizes. Thanks
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 13:45   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30U

Not for the faint of heart but doable. You will get water when you take the old one off but you won’t sink. The main trick is to have the new valve open when you start the thread. Once you have a couple of threads on you can close it.
Oldshipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 13:59   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

This is way easier than people make out. I recently did it for the first time and it was a complete non-event. The pressure is tiny. I had a wooden bung ready, unscrewed the fitting and put the bung in immediately. You can then clean up the threads etc, and get the new seacock ready. Stage 2, take the wooden bung out and screw the new seacock in. No need to have it open. I got two cups of water in the bilge, tops.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 15:10   #7

I had this happen on all of my 3/4" Maralon seacocks. The problem is the small machine screw holding the handle works loose. When one of my handles broke, I wasn't so lucky - the valve was not close all the way. It was a very stressful hour or so while I sorted out this problem. You can use the handle to close the valve -- you just can't screw it together. You also have to find the o-rings.

This is an easy fix -- Contact Forespar support (salestechsupport at forespar dot com). Their customer support is excellent. Explain that the handle on your 3/4" (verify??) Maralon seacock broke off. There's a small threaded machine screw holding the handle and it worked itself loose. Send a picture. If you are lucky, they will send you a replacement seacock and in-the-water instructions for repair.

As far as installation - the little white plug on the end of the handle fits in the water side of the thruhull opening. You or your diver can insert the plug into the thruhull. Then, you can disassemble the body of the seacock and replace the middle section (the one with the stripped ball valve). Be mindful of the order of the top, gasket, middle, gasket, etc., and reassemble in the same way. Once back together, you can remove the white plug. Forespar has instructions on how to do this.

The body of the Maralon seacocks has not changed. They replaced the machine screw with a nut and bolt, which is much better. Funny, my 1" seacocks have not worked loose.

Good luck,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 16:54   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Thru hulls are installed in the water all the time. You don't pull a 100'+ boat for a new thru hull. Now, that being said, replacing a thru hull in the water can bring a different set of issues. There's know way of knowing that it will come out easy, galling threads half way unscrewed can leave you in a pickle with a thru hull half out. If the hull has seen damage, etc, especially cored hulls, you might end up pulling the boat anyway. Certainly doable in the water, but I'd let a company that specializes in it do it just in case there is any unforeseen problems half way through the job.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 18:34   #9
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Thru hulls are installed in the water all the time. You don't pull a 100'+ boat for a new thru hull. Now, that being said, replacing a thru hull in the water can bring a different set of issues. There's know way of knowing that it will come out easy, galling threads half way unscrewed can leave you in a pickle with a thru hull half out. If the hull has seen damage, etc, especially cored hulls, you might end up pulling the boat anyway. Certainly doable in the water, but I'd let a company that specializes in it do it just in case there is any unforeseen problems half way through the job.
He’s just replacing the valve not the thru hull. If it’s a true design or similar, most have a ball valve that can be removed independent of the thru hull and backing nut.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:14   #10

Boat: Hunter 30 G

what is the red cone for on the seabung? Didn't see any mention of it on the website.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:21   #11
rbk

It goes onto the thru hull/skin fitting and stops water from entering. Unlike a bung you can install the ball valve tighten then as you extract the sea bung you close the valve.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19thol View Post
what is the red cone for on the seabung? Didn't see any mention of it on the website.

I think it's a belt and braces approach. The stem of the seabung goes through the red cone. The red cone is then pushed into the top of the fitting.
On the website it shows it being used on one of the video's
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 08:37   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19thol View Post
As I recall the cone was meant to be slid down the stem to help hold the Seabung in place. I don’t think it is really necessary as water pressure holds it in place.

My old company, Hopkins-Carter, was a distributor for SeaBung. Not sure if they still stock them but I see they’re still listed on the SeaBung website.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:39   #14

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau 40 DS

What is the brand of the seacock that failed? I'm just in the process of replacing mine and was thinking of going composite.
tce001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 10:59   #15

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I replaced a faulty 3/4" valve in January in Sweden, no problem. The modest amount of water that came in was not an issue; it was very cold on the hands though, and did spray around a bit. I backed the valve until it was almost off, then wrapped the thru-hull with Teflon tape before doing the swap (new valve open). I also had a soft wood plug available just in case. The project seems a lot scarier than it is in actual practice.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water