Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 12:00   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft
Re: Replace Fresh Water Tanks or Fix

Hi,
I'm in a similar situation myself, I first need to find the tank that is leaking...

I don't know if you are aware of this website http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com/
for spare parts of you beneteau. I've found everything I need for my 2003 473 and I'm sure they will be able to deliver the tank where you are. These are the specs for your tank:

Boat BENETEAU 46
Designation TANK FW ROTO.200L 15450 PORT
Part # 072961

Retail Price 458,43 $ U/M UN
Qty / boat 1 Part Type LL

Good luck,

I.
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:13   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanvet View Post
Hi,
I'm in a similar situation myself, I first need to find the tank that is leaking...

I don't know if you are aware of this website http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com/
for spare parts of you beneteau. I've found everything I need for my 2003 473 and I'm sure they will be able to deliver the tank where you are. These are the specs for your tank:

Boat BENETEAU 46
Designation TANK FW ROTO.200L 15450 PORT
Part # 072961

Retail Price 458,43 $ U/M UN
Qty / boat 1 Part Type LL

Good luck,

I.

I just discovered this website and received my credentials this morning. Thanks for finding this information. If shipping is reasonable, I think this option will be most practical. Thanks
Blackacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:17   #18

...and of course the website crashes just as I find it...I'll try again this afternoon.
Old 06-11-2018, 13:34   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If all you are after is temporary storage until you can get your tank fixed--if it has a reasonably sized inspection port--insert a bladder.

I prefer to use a rack which has compartments lined with marine carpet glued to plywood partitions. Across the front of this rack is a barrier of laminated timber also coated with carpet. You can see where this is going?

Each of these five or six compartments holds a 20 litre polypropylene water container. They are drained through a plummet hose fitted through their caps, and can be emptied one at a time or all together. They are an excellent system--if one leaks one does not lose all the water, and if one needs to fill the tanks from a coastal stream, each is light enough to be lifted out of the rack and lowered into a dinghy. In a Wharram they are the easiest tanks to fit and are cheap to set up and maintain. If one makes them to fit those 20 litre detergent bottles such as are used by car-washes--one might get them for free or at a reasonable price.

A rack of 20 litre containers secured under a lift-off lid makes a great work bench.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 12:01   #20

My new water tank from Beneteau Spare Parts just shipped from the supplier in France. It will cost around $150 to get it to the Caribbean plus the $450 for the water tank. Should only take an hour to install. Should be a pretty easy project. Thanks for the advice Ivanvet and everyone else who contributed.
Old 24-01-2019, 13:23   #21

OK, so the new tank from Beneteau may not work out after all. Their customer service leaves something to be desired. I was just informed I am expected to pay to have the tank shipped to them first and reshipped to the marina at a cost that far exceeds the price of the tank. I'll spare the details...

Moving on,,, I am going to try welding the tank. The people at Polyvance.com have been very helpful in guiding me. I will try in a few weeks and report back.

The tank is made of LDPE as pointed out in this thread. I will install a SS mesh for added strength and I will dig a partial V-Groove in the crack to insure a better bond. I will try making the repair from the outside of the tank as it will allow for better body mechanics and therefore a better quality job. Also, the weld should penetrate through to the inside if done correctly.
Old 24-01-2019, 14:21   #22

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
He DID say what it was made of. The photo shows the recycle stamp (4) and it says EAU (low density polyethylene).
There is some confusion here. The lettering on the tank is “ EAU PROPRE”. This is french and means " Clean water". EAU is water.
So this tank is made for drinking water, as opposed to black water tanks.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 14:50   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
There is some confusion here. The lettering on the tank is “ EAU PROPRE”. This is french and means " Clean water". EAU is water.
So this tank is made for drinking water, as opposed to black water tanks.

Wasn't thinking.

I wasn't thinking. PEAD in Spanish is HDPE in English, and PEBD is LDPE. However, the 4 tells us it is LDPE.
Old 24-01-2019, 15:10   #24

Correction: I was told the 4 = LDPE just now by Polyvance.com

The project looks pretty easy once you have the right parts
Old 06-06-2019, 18:39   #25

Update: The plastic welding didn't work for me. Perhaps if the crack was near the top of tank so it had less pressure on it or if it was smaller. The repair took all day and the finish result looked good but just didn't hold.
Old 06-06-2019, 19:23   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

This is going to sound a bit weird but.

I have a poly dingy I needed to fix a hole in so I bought a poly cutting board and cut an over-sized patch out of it, centred the patch over the hole and drilled a series of holes around the outer circumference then tapped the holes and screwed in nylon bolts which I cut of with about 1/8" protruding either side. Then with an electric soldering iron rounded the protruding stubs over and melted around the edge of the patch. Worked like a charm.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tanks, water