Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 04:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 - 40'
removing water heater

I have a Beneteau Oceanis 400, 1996, with an old and leaky hot water tank. I live and cruise in the tropics and have no need for a water heater. Also trying to simplify the boat and reduce points of failure. The current Raritan has two sets of hoses connected to it. One set is the in/out of the fresh water, and the other is the in/out from the heat exchanger circuit. Can anyone tell me if I can just plug the heat exchanger hoses (or plug the openings on the heat exchanger and remove the water heater? Or does the heat exchanger need the water heater circuit as a source of cooling? Thanks kindly for your advice!
jsbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:36   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: removing water heater

Just plug the exit/entry of the WH hoses on the engine. This will not affect your engine cooling. The WH possibility is an option on the engine.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:53   #3

Thanks, Sailormed. It's what I thought, but didn't want to blow my engine over a bad assumption!
Old 10-09-2021, 04:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It would be surprising if your engine routed all the coolant through the water heater, but I would keep an eye on the temperature gauge the first time out....
Old 10-09-2021, 05:14   #5

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbartley View Post
I have a Beneteau Oceanis 400, 1996, with an old and leaky hot water tank. I live and cruise in the tropics and have no need for a water heater. Also trying to simplify the boat and reduce points of failure. The current Raritan has two sets of hoses connected to it. One set is the in/out of the fresh water, and the other is the in/out from the heat exchanger circuit. Can anyone tell me if I can just plug the heat exchanger hoses (or plug the openings on the heat exchanger and remove the water heater? Or does the heat exchanger need the water heater circuit as a source of cooling? Thanks kindly for your advice!
=============================================
as mentioned by Sailormed, also follow each hose between engine and water heather,I removed mine soon after bought my Cape Dory and remember was some kind of heat exchanger?? Mounted close to the WH, that also removed,I don't remember exactly what it was, may be just a peculiar installation of Cape Dory?
Gained room for 1 extra battery and tools !!!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:50   #6

Appreciate input. I've heard that the heat exchanger needs to recirculate its coolant thru the water heater outflow and inflow, which would imply creating a closed loop from HE outlow to HE inflow. On the fresh water side, Im tempted to also join the inflow to WH, with its outflow, in order to have water flowing through both hot and cold water circuits, even though it will all be cold water. Any thoughts or suggestions on these approaches are welcome! Thanks again for your input.

Tags
heater, water