Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 18:31   #46

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Refrigerator issue Danfoss bd35

Now that story is a prime example of "Necessity is the mother of invention".
EBM-Pabst also made their units in dual voltage, by mounting a Danfoss AC compressor alongside the !2VDC compressor, and using a check-valve arrangement.
I installed one of those units in my boat in '92,, it worked great, but drawing ~35>40 amps at 12V whilst away from shore power required some power management skills.
But, it's a eutectic system and only runs ~1>2 hours per day, depending upon load/temp.
As the unit aged I had to remove the cover from the "dome" to expose the brush assembly, then, whilst engaging the thermostat override switch with one hand, I would spin the brush holder with the other hand,, and, if I was lucky the unit would fire-up on the first try.
At one time I had 6 of those units, and am convinced that I was, (at that time,) probably the only one on the West Coast of the US that really and truly understood the operational specifics of them.
The DC unit went away ~'02, however, the Danfoss 1/3HP 115VAC compressor still resides on the original baseplate along with the 1/2 ton condenser, I replaced the Pabst 16VDC fan with a 115VAC Pabst fan, and the condensing unit is still operational as I type this post.
The unit/system runs on a dedicated inverter and has given trouble free service for ~30 years,, no leaks, no drama.
Well, almost no drama;
Many years ago one of the Ranco thermostats stuck, (I was away,) and the box went down to -20F and froze everything, worst of all it froze all the beer,, now that was a serious issue, coming back from a days work and having frozen beer.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 16:31   #47

Hi all, Got the new controller today. It is a SECOP not a Danfoss but is the same model number as the original controller. Just ran it a bit under the same conditions as before. Here is what I recorded from the first few start ups. Battery is fully charged.

First start
Baseline. 13.1volts
Startup. 12.9 volts
Running. 12.7 volts

Second start
Baseline 12.7 volts
Startup. 12.5 volts
Running 12.5 volts

Third start
Baseline. 12.8 volts
Startup. 12.65 volts
Running. 12.5 volts

Then I switched over to try and get some amp readings

Forth start
Baseline 0
Startup. 5.49
Running 30 sec. 3.6
Running. 2.5

Fifth start
Baseline 0
Startup. 5.5
Running 30 sec 3.5
Running 4 min. 2.5

The unit seems to be cycling on and off and is holding temp
smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 16:43   #48

Wire is the cheapest part of your installation. Now that a new controller is working for you by the sound of things, complete the job with fat wiring, fatter the better.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 17:53   #49

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Alright,, thread back on track from my interruptions.
So, it turned out to be the module all along,,?
The data you posted about power draw(s) at start-up, shortly into run, and full-running is interesting.
I suppose that with some data logging you will be able to add-up/interpolate the total amount of AH used in a 24 hr. period, taking into account the run times/cycles vs. the off times?
Glad you got it going.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 07:32   #50
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcboating View Post
Hi all, Got the new controller today. It is a SECOP not a Danfoss but is the same model number as the original controller. Just ran it a bit under the same conditions as before. Here is what I recorded from the first few start ups. Battery is fully charged.

First start
Baseline. 13.1volts
Startup. 12.9 volts
Running. 12.7 volts

Second start
Baseline 12.7 volts
Startup. 12.5 volts
Running 12.5 volts

Third start
Baseline. 12.8 volts
Startup. 12.65 volts
Running. 12.5 volts

Forth start
Baseline 0
Startup. 5.49
Running 30 sec. 3.6
Running. 2.5

Fifth start
Baseline 0
Startup. 5.5
Running 30 sec 3.5
Running 4 min. 2.5

Now you see how tactical approach produces results when dealing with boot up safety circuits designed to protect and extend a units life. In this case Steps one by pass thermostat it no LED trouble code. Step 2 disconnect fan circuit from F terminal. Step three power module direct from a fully charged batter eliminating all of boat wiring. If compressor fails to start now try another module. These tests will eliminate all LED trouble codes through eight except damage inside compressor.
Factual troubleshooting is the correct method and Theories from past experience prove nothing and waste time and band width.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 20:56   #51
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:

First start
Baseline. 13.1volts
Startup. 12.9 volts
Running. 12.7 volts

Second start
Baseline 12.7 volts
Startup. 12.5 volts
Running 12.5 volts

Third start
Baseline. 12.8 volts
Startup. 12.65 volts
Running. 12.5 volts

Forth start
Baseline 0
Startup. 5.49
Running 30 sec. 3.6
Running. 2.5

Fifth start
Baseline 0
Startup. 5.5
Running 30 sec 3.5
Running 4 min. 2.5

Good data SMC. The multi-meter derived data you provided with the original MDM and now the new MDM is invaluable and unobtainable otherwise!!
A comparison of the data indicates the earlier Danfoss MDM is most likely a DOL type while the new one is the superior Secop 'soft start' type. The soft start / run process allows easier, more positive start up reducing the chance of start failure.

Suggest checking the thermostat circuit for resistance and if none fit a 270ohm resistor to cause a minimum 2500 RPM.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 12:20   #52
Marine Service Provider

smcboating, If your BD compressor was selected to run at 2000 Rpm increasing its speed will reduce its efficient energy consumption if it is presently running time is less than 50% of the time and satisfying your desired box temperature. It is always best to correct the problem then putting a bandage on it.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 16:00   #53

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:

First start
Baseline. 13.1volts
Startup. 12.9 volts
Running. 12.7 volts

Second start
Baseline 12.7 volts
Startup. 12.5 volts
Running 12.5 volts

Third start
Baseline. 12.8 volts
Startup. 12.65 volts
Running. 12.5 volts