Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 15:29   #1

Refrigeration Question for You Oldtimers

In the days before we all had air cond in out homes did the refrigerators struggle to cool in the hot summer ? I wonder cause seems many boat units work very hard in the summer .
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 15:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: refrigeration question for you oldtimers

First, who are you calling an old timer?

I will try to overcome my resentment to the name calling to confirm that yes, a refrigerator unit will work harder in a hot room than a cool room. A regrigerator takes heat from the inside of the box and transfers it by coils (like your cars radiator) to the area outside the box. If the area outside, either a kitchen or inside of a boasta is hotter then the transfer of heat from the coils is less efficient so the unit works harder.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 15:46   #3

Skipmac
I guess my question would be better put, Are home type fridge that much better then marime units? I would guess your home unit works much less now then in 1960 Did the home units in non air con home have trouble getting to 38* in the summer?
Old 06-05-2011, 15:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think you can just make the general statement that home units are better than marine units. The production volume of home refers makes them much cheaper than marine units. Also well made home regfrigerators are designed so the compressor and cooling capacity match the size and insulation of the box. Marine units don't generally have that luxury since most are more or less custom built and installed. Also many boats have poorly insulated boxes which makes a good compressor work a lot harder.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by home units work less than in the 60s. They are generaly more efficient and better insulated so use less energy than older models. But the same applies for new 12 V boat refers.
Old 06-05-2011, 16:11   #5

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35
Re: Refrigeration Question for You Oldtimers

I think it also has something to do with the fact that electric power on land is plentiful so a larger cooling system is installed, if you had the power to run a large system it would handle a hotter climate without any problems, but if you are counting watts instead of kiliwatts it makes a difference.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 16:28   #6

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Using an air cooled 12V unit... If you have a perfectly sealed, REALLY well insulated box, (= vacuum panels or 7" of foam)... of reasonably small volume, (like 2 cu ft), your Ah/day consumption might vary from 15 to 25 Ah in cooler months, to 30 or 40 Ah/day in the heat of a tropical summer. (100+ F)

The folks who have huge power consumption in the summer, usually have too large and too poorly insulated a box, with a poor fitting lid. (unsealed OLD foam looses its insulation value). They may also have the compressor in a tight space with no muffin fans for ventilation, or locate it in the hottest part of the hull.

The time and money invested in making your refrigeration efficient, is money well spent, and will pay for itself in short order. It is the lions share of your anchored out energy demand!

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	128.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	27024   Click image for larger version

Name:	129.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	27025  

Name:	130.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	27026   Click image for larger version

Name:	131.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	27027  

Name:	132.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	27028  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 16:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I don't think you can just make the general statement that home units are better than marine units. The production volume of home refers makes them much cheaper than marine units. Also well made home regfrigerators are designed so the compressor and cooling capacity match the size and insulation of the box. Marine units don't generally have that luxury since most are more or less custom built and installed. Also many boats have poorly insulated boxes which makes a good compressor work a lot harder.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by home units work less than in the 60s. They are generaly more efficient and better insulated so use less energy than older models. But the same applies for new 12 V boat refers.
In the 1960 most homes were not air conditioned hence the fridge had to work harder in the summer
Old 06-05-2011, 16:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Your outhouse is air conditioned? Wow, very posh. I betcha is one of those fancy two-holers too!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
In the days before we all had air cond in out homes did the refrigerators struggle to cool in the hot summer ? I wonder cause seems many boat units work very hard in the summer .
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 17:12   #9

You should see the pool room
Old 06-05-2011, 20:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
In the 1960 most homes were not air conditioned hence the fridge had to work harder in the summer
Well of course they weren't. The point I was making is, AC or no AC, refrigerators today are more energy efficient than refrigerators in the 60s.

So take a refrigerator from the 60s in perfect condiition and set it next to a modern refrigerator in the same house, the modern refrigerator would use less power than the 60s model to achieve the same level of cooling, AC or no AC in the house.

Tags
refrigeration