Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 19:40   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Hi all,

I have an old PowerSurvivor 35 which came with the boat. Visually it appears to be in good condition, and the total hours of use are reasonably minor, it was used intermittently for about three or four years before being mothballed.

Now I would like to recommission it.

I have the Gary Albers guide (Thank you Gord May), but I am looking for advice on parts/consumables now, many, many years after that guide was written.

Can anyone point me to the best place to get parts, and more importantly, give me some tips on which bits will need to be replaced.

Just to be clear, I do know this is a very low output watermaker, but it is all I have and I cannot justify the cost of a new, higher output model. (I may not be able to justify the cost of the consumables needed to recommission this one either, but that's what I am trying to figure out here.)

Matt
Old 24-08-2019, 22:10   #2

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

I have the same watermaker, non functioning for a long time. I did my research with several people and the answer I had was:

- getting a replacement membrane is expensive, and that is without knowing wether the rest of the system works ok

- the pump works but it is not high pressure enough to use a different membrane

Thus, it makes more sense to just forget about it :/

If you find anything different, I would like to hear more
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

I have an old PowerSurvivor 35 which came with the boat. Visually it appears to be in good condition, and the total hours of use are reasonably minor, it was used intermittently for about three or four years before being mothballed.

Now I would like to recommission it.

I have the Gary Albers guide (Thank you Gord May), but I am looking for advice on parts/consumables now, many, many years after that guide was written.

Can anyone point me to the best place to get parts, and more importantly, give me some tips on which bits will need to be replaced.

Just to be clear, I do know this is a very low output watermaker, but it is all I have and I cannot justify the cost of a new, higher output model. (I may not be able to justify the cost of the consumables needed to recommission this one either, but that's what I am trying to figure out here.)

Matt
tellie has all that information .

Email me at rnewby1@ hotmail.com
I will send you the repair manuals . On Pdf .

If either of you guys decide to not fix pm me I'm always looking for parts for mine.
Rob
SV Stephfen Ulysses
Old 24-08-2019, 23:41   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I have the same watermaker, non functioning for a long time. I did my research with several people and the answer I had was:

- getting a replacement membrane is expensive, and that is without knowing wether the rest of the system works ok

Where did this information come from? And why would other membranes require higher pressure.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 00:30   #5

I've done two - I know where to get parts in the UK but no idea for Australia though if you had problems finding them (Katadyn have a site for almost every country) then Mactra Marine Equipment - Katadyn Watermakers - Spare Parts will ship overseas

If the membrane was properly pickled it is almost a last forever item - I just recommissioned one after 6 years and the membrane was fine. Initially go with a new seal kit and check if the piston upgrade has been done (its in the book you have) and if not change that too

I also found on my last one the motor was gone and was quoted £1000 or so for a new one but instead a local starter motor repair place fixed it for about £50 in a day

They are low output but also very dependable and easy to fix
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 01:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
I've done two - I know where to get parts in the UK but no idea for Australia though if you had problems finding them (Katadyn have a site for almost every country) then Mactra Marine Equipment - Katadyn Watermakers - Spare Parts will ship overseas

If the membrane was properly pickled it is almost a last forever item - I just recommissioned one after 6 years and the membrane was fine. Initially go with a new seal kit and check if the piston upgrade has been done (its in the book you have) and if not change that too

I also found on my last one the motor was gone and was quoted £1000 or so for a new one but instead a local starter motor repair place fixed it for about £50 in a day

They are low output but also very dependable and easy to fix
Great to hear from someone who has been down this path before.

Sadly, the membrane was not pickled, the whole thing was disconnected and put in a box, where it sat for a few years. So I assume I will be up for a new membrane.

When you say the piston upgrade is in the book... I have no such book. Is there an easy way to check, and what is the problem that the upgrade addresses?

The drive assembly is running smoothly, but I am glad to hear you were able to have yours repaired cheaply. I looked at it and felt it was really just a glorified windscreen wiper motor and that repairs SHOULD be pretty straight forward if needed.
Old 25-08-2019, 01:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
tellie has all that information .

Email me at rnewby1@ hotmail.com
I will send you the repair manuals . On Pdf .

If either of you guys decide to not fix pm me I'm always looking for parts for mine.
Rob
SV Stephfen Ulysses
Thank you Rob, I've sent you an email.

I will PM Tellie.
Old 25-08-2019, 01:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post

I will see how the costs add up. I suspect they will be a bit eye watering...
Old 25-08-2019, 02:49   #9

The book is Gary Albers one you say you have in the OP - How to Survive with a Power Survivor

The piston issue was one of scoring on the earlier models and an upgraded piston was produced. Details are in the book and at ishipaco.com

The membrane may have been biocides before storage in a box - if so it should be good. The best bet is to replace seals and service it and then run and see what the output is. If its low or too many ppm when you test the product water then you will need a new membrane if not, then you won't
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 03:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
The book is Gary Albers one you say you have in the OP - How to Survive with a Power Survivor

Ah, right. Now I understand

The piston issue was one of scoring on the earlier models and an upgraded piston was produced. Details are in the book and at ishipaco.com

I'll have a look for that bit.

The membrane may have been biocides before storage in a box - if so it should be good. The best bet is to replace seals and service it and then run and see what the output is. If its low or too many ppm when you test the product water then you will need a new membrane if not, then you won't
Alas, the membrane will be kaput. It had been left to dry out over ten years, when the boat changed hands. The new owners didn't know how to use it. I pulled it out and put it in a box when I bought the boat because I didn't need it and I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Indicative costs for getting it going seem to be under AU$1K, so I am tempted. Bit more homework to do though. That may be optimistic.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I will PM Tellie.
I will send you what I have .
Old 25-08-2019, 08:46   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I will PM Tellie.

have you emailed Giles about your water generator project ? He is wondering if he missed your email.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:02   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

I also have a 35. When I contacted support I was told that the unit has been replaced by the 40 and parts are no longer available, except membranes.
Mine also came with my boat and has not been used in over 4 years. Don’t know if pickled but I would doubt it. I did turn it on once and it ran so assume the pump is good(?).
Willing to sell the unit but have no idea of its value.
Anyone who might be interested can contact me.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:08   #14

I have two brand new 35's which were never installed.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:14   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
I also have a 35. When I contacted support I was told that the unit has been replaced by the 40 and parts are no longer available, except membranes.
Mine also came with my boat and has not been used in over 4 years. Don’t know if pickled but I would doubt it. I did turn it on once and it ran so assume the pump is good(?).
Willing to sell the unit but have no idea of its value.
Anyone who might be interested can contact me.
Ken
pm sent