Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 19:40   #1
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 6,288
Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Hi all,

I have an old PowerSurvivor 35 which came with the boat. Visually it appears to be in good condition, and the total hours of use are reasonably minor, it was used intermittently for about three or four years before being mothballed.

Now I would like to recommission it.

I have the Gary Albers guide (Thank you Gord May), but I am looking for advice on parts/consumables now, many, many years after that guide was written.

Can anyone point me to the best place to get parts, and more importantly, give me some tips on which bits will need to be replaced.

Just to be clear, I do know this is a very low output watermaker, but it is all I have and I cannot justify the cost of a new, higher output model. (I may not be able to justify the cost of the consumables needed to recommission this one either, but that's what I am trying to figure out here.)

Matt
__________________

__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:10   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mexico
Boat: Passport 40
Posts: 332
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

I have the same watermaker, non functioning for a long time. I did my research with several people and the answer I had was:

- getting a replacement membrane is expensive, and that is without knowing wether the rest of the system works ok

- the pump works but it is not high pressure enough to use a different membrane

Thus, it makes more sense to just forget about it :/

If you find anything different, I would like to hear more
__________________

gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:29   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,494
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

I have an old PowerSurvivor 35 which came with the boat. Visually it appears to be in good condition, and the total hours of use are reasonably minor, it was used intermittently for about three or four years before being mothballed.

Now I would like to recommission it.

I have the Gary Albers guide (Thank you Gord May), but I am looking for advice on parts/consumables now, many, many years after that guide was written.

Can anyone point me to the best place to get parts, and more importantly, give me some tips on which bits will need to be replaced.

Just to be clear, I do know this is a very low output watermaker, but it is all I have and I cannot justify the cost of a new, higher output model. (I may not be able to justify the cost of the consumables needed to recommission this one either, but that's what I am trying to figure out here.)

Matt
tellie has all that information .

Email me at rnewby1@ hotmail.com
I will send you the repair manuals . On Pdf .

If either of you guys decide to not fix pm me I'm always looking for parts for mine.
Rob
SV Stephfen Ulysses
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 23:41   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 3,546
Images: 7
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I have the same watermaker, non functioning for a long time. I did my research with several people and the answer I had was:

- getting a replacement membrane is expensive, and that is without knowing wether the rest of the system works ok

- the pump works but it is not high pressure enough to use a different membrane

Thus, it makes more sense to just forget about it :/

If you find anything different, I would like to hear more
Where did this information come from? And why would other membranes require higher pressure.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 00:30   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 115
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

I've done two - I know where to get parts in the UK but no idea for Australia though if you had problems finding them (Katadyn have a site for almost every country) then Mactra Marine Equipment - Katadyn Watermakers - Spare Parts will ship overseas

If the membrane was properly pickled it is almost a last forever item - I just recommissioned one after 6 years and the membrane was fine. Initially go with a new seal kit and check if the piston upgrade has been done (its in the book you have) and if not change that too

I also found on my last one the motor was gone and was quoted £1000 or so for a new one but instead a local starter motor repair place fixed it for about £50 in a day

They are low output but also very dependable and easy to fix
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 01:28   #6
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 6,288
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
I've done two - I know where to get parts in the UK but no idea for Australia though if you had problems finding them (Katadyn have a site for almost every country) then Mactra Marine Equipment - Katadyn Watermakers - Spare Parts will ship overseas

If the membrane was properly pickled it is almost a last forever item - I just recommissioned one after 6 years and the membrane was fine. Initially go with a new seal kit and check if the piston upgrade has been done (its in the book you have) and if not change that too

I also found on my last one the motor was gone and was quoted £1000 or so for a new one but instead a local starter motor repair place fixed it for about £50 in a day

They are low output but also very dependable and easy to fix
Great to hear from someone who has been down this path before.

Sadly, the membrane was not pickled, the whole thing was disconnected and put in a box, where it sat for a few years. So I assume I will be up for a new membrane.

When you say the piston upgrade is in the book... I have no such book. Is there an easy way to check, and what is the problem that the upgrade addresses?

The drive assembly is running smoothly, but I am glad to hear you were able to have yours repaired cheaply. I looked at it and felt it was really just a glorified windscreen wiper motor and that repairs SHOULD be pretty straight forward if needed.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 01:29   #7
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 6,288
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
tellie has all that information .

Email me at rnewby1@ hotmail.com
I will send you the repair manuals . On Pdf .

If either of you guys decide to not fix pm me I'm always looking for parts for mine.
Rob
SV Stephfen Ulysses
Thank you Rob, I've sent you an email.

I will PM Tellie.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 01:29   #8
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 6,288
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I have the same watermaker, non functioning for a long time. I did my research with several people and the answer I had was:

- getting a replacement membrane is expensive, and that is without knowing wether the rest of the system works ok

- the pump works but it is not high pressure enough to use a different membrane

Thus, it makes more sense to just forget about it :/

If you find anything different, I would like to hear more
I will see how the costs add up. I suspect they will be a bit eye watering...
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 02:49   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 115
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

The book is Gary Albers one you say you have in the OP - How to Survive with a Power Survivor

The piston issue was one of scoring on the earlier models and an upgraded piston was produced. Details are in the book and at ishipaco.com

The membrane may have been biocides before storage in a box - if so it should be good. The best bet is to replace seals and service it and then run and see what the output is. If its low or too many ppm when you test the product water then you will need a new membrane if not, then you won't
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 03:05   #10
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 6,288
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
The book is Gary Albers one you say you have in the OP - How to Survive with a Power Survivor

Ah, right. Now I understand

The piston issue was one of scoring on the earlier models and an upgraded piston was produced. Details are in the book and at ishipaco.com

I'll have a look for that bit.

The membrane may have been biocides before storage in a box - if so it should be good. The best bet is to replace seals and service it and then run and see what the output is. If its low or too many ppm when you test the product water then you will need a new membrane if not, then you won't
Alas, the membrane will be kaput. It had been left to dry out over ten years, when the boat changed hands. The new owners didn't know how to use it. I pulled it out and put it in a box when I bought the boat because I didn't need it and I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Indicative costs for getting it going seem to be under AU$1K, so I am tempted. Bit more homework to do though. That may be optimistic.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 08:26   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,494
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you Rob, I've sent you an email.

I will PM Tellie.
I will send you what I have .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 08:46   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,494
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you Rob, I've sent you an email.

I will PM Tellie.

have you emailed Giles about your water generator project ? He is wondering if he missed your email.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:02   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 112
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

I also have a 35. When I contacted support I was told that the unit has been replaced by the 40 and parts are no longer available, except membranes.
Mine also came with my boat and has not been used in over 4 years. Donít know if pickled but I would doubt it. I did turn it on once and it ran so assume the pump is good(?).
Willing to sell the unit but have no idea of its value.
Anyone who might be interested can contact me.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:08   #14
Registered User
 
StoneCrab's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 186
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

I have two brand new 35's which were never installed.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:14   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 8,494
Re: Recommissioning a PowerSurvivor 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
I also have a 35. When I contacted support I was told that the unit has been replaced by the 40 and parts are no longer available, except membranes.
Mine also came with my boat and has not been used in over 4 years. Donít know if pickled but I would doubt it. I did turn it on once and it ran so assume the pump is good(?).
Willing to sell the unit but have no idea of its value.
Anyone who might be interested can contact me.
Ken
pm sent
__________________

__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommissioning Fuel Tank in Keel Winf Construction, Maintenance & Refit 31 29-07-2019 11:52
Seawater Output-Recommissioning a Sea Recovery Ultra 200 dworkman Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 06-03-2018 06:52
Seafrost recommissioning-vacuum pump specs Alii Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 5 22-01-2015 15:54
Recommissioning a Cummins 4BT stillbuilding Engines and Propulsion Systems 1 12-08-2013 16:46
Now what do i do with my Powersurvivor 40E ?? ribbony Provisioning: Food & Drink 15 29-06-2007 11:12

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.