Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 17:23   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS 2003
Recommendations for Electric Head for Jeanneau 43DS ?

I would like to put an electric head in our 2003 Jeanneau 43DS. Any recommendations as to which one I should get?
Thanks for any help.
Susan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:26   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Recommendations for Electric Head for Jeanneau 43DS?

Jabsco
Old 09-05-2011, 17:30   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan French View Post
I would like to put an electric head in our 2003 Jeanneau 43DS. Any recommendations as to which one I should get?
Thanks for any help.
I have given these a "serious workout" with good results

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...133&item=89672

I have one of these on the new build, I would expect the same results

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...tAbsolutePage=
Old 09-05-2011, 17:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

If you look around you can find Peggy Hall here in person. She is as close to the best that I ever heard of and she is really nice and shares everything (but not too much). Not all head talk is pretty.

We have the cheaper Sea Era Raritan. I was nosing around and found the Elegance for about the same price. It's the top of the Raritan line. You'll need to decide on what type of total system and if you are going to use fresh or salt water. They make versions for both but you need a full blown plan so you can build it. It's not just the head it's the whole package you need to look at. The nasty parts you never want to see you really never want to see so do it right the first time.

We use an MSD II that is very close to the head and the lines are all very short. I like it a lot but the Sea Era is considered "loud". I'm still liking the easy maintenance so much I don't care. I probably can snore louder. Short lines are always good. Installation issues can start you in a better or worse direction. If it's an easy install go for the best head. If it is going to get tricky and expensive then be mindfull of the budget. You really don't want only half a system.

Only people that spend a lot of time on a boat can appreciate what a crappy head is all about. Once you fix a few and swap out some old stink hose you get to appreciate the finer points of heads. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you need two. One really nice one is perfection.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:06   #5

Raritan Elegance

Quiet, low water use, comfy "household" seat, easy to clean porcelain, great manufacturer.

going on two years with never a clog, maintenance, or problems. Better than my old Lavac and I thought it was the best.

You can even get an option to use either fresh or salt flush water with a flip of a switch.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

She doesn't even have to look around... I'm here! And I agree with you and Carl 110%...the Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Elegance toilet is the best marine toilet to come along in at least 25 years.

However, a small correction, Paul...unless you have a lot bigger boat than I think you have, your MSD is actually Type I. Type II is for boats over 65'...not that you couldn't have a Type II, but they're so much bigger and more complex than Type I that it's unlikely.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:53   #7

I have to say though that adding an electric system to a formerly hand pump head is not a great idea. My husband put one in for a surprise for me but when I tried it, it was SO loud it about scared the $&! out of me!! It came back off the next day. 
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:17   #8

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Here's another vote for the raritan elegance!

Got mine at the start of last years season and it worked great. Started up flawlessly this spring. It's way easier for people to figure out, and because it knows how much water to send down you end up using way less water especially when people not familiar with a boat are (but it still uses less than I would). It's also not sized to toilet train a 2 year old as so many are!

The macerator in the unit also means its harder to clog downstream (maybe an overly descriptive word ;-) from the unit.

As someone who has disassembled pressurized manual units due to incompetent inebriated friends thinking they could just keep jamming it down and the wad of paper would eventually go through (still makes me mad!), it really takes the thinking out of the process which is a good thing :-)
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Re: Recommendations for Electric Head for Jeanneau 43DS ?

Not all electric toilets are created equal. Putting an electric motor on ANY manual toilet only turns what was a fair-good, even great manual toilet into a very poor--and NOISY!--excuse for an electric toilet. The Jabsco 29200 "conversion" is even worse..That thing makes enough noise to wake the dead, draws enough amps to light up Cleveland, and chokes on anything tougher than a grape..and from your description, it sounds like that's what your hubby installed to surprise you sailor...or he ruined a perfectly good manual toilet by putting a motor on it. Or...that was a loooong time ago. But hey...give the guy credit for TRYING to make your life easier with the "push button convenience" of a button instead of a toilet pump.

Prior to the early 90s, electric toilets were noisy dinosaurs that ate 30 or more amps/flush and needed 1-3 gallons of water/flush. But today, there are a number of really good QUIET electric macerating toilets...and they keep on getting even better. However, any sea water electric toilet is gonna be a lot noisier than electric toilets designed to use onboard pressurized flush water...'cuz, contrary to what most people believe, it's not the discharge pump and macerator that makes all the noise, it's the intak pump...and toilets designed to use pressurized flush water don't have intake pumps.

At the moment, the Raritan Elegance is the top dog in the hunt for the perfect marine toilet...next year it may be something else. But even if it is, no one will ever regret installing one...and the price is VERY reasonable too!
Old 09-05-2011, 19:20   #10

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
By the way, my raritan replaced a lavac ( which was good too for a manual ) and hasn't complained at all.

Matt
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
She doesn't even have to look around... I'm here! And I agree with you and Carl 110%...the Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Elegance toilet is the best marine toilet to come along in at least 25 years.
Wow
you do get them cheap in the US at $399
Raritan Marine Elegance Toilet*-*Raritan*2 - Marine Heads - Plumbing/Ventilation - Boatersland Marine

Over here in Oz they cost us $1000 which, is why they dont get a look in for me.
Old 09-05-2011, 20:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

The obvious solution: buy it here. Shipping to OZ shouldn't run much more than $50 USD...still a bargain.

However, that price IS without any of the "bells and whistles" that make it a REALLY neat toilet...to get those you'd have to add a couple hundred more...but STILL a bargain for you.
Old 09-05-2011, 22:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The obvious solution: buy it here. Shipping to OZ shouldn't run much more than $50 USD...still a bargain.
You are right
It shouldnt be more than $50 but it is

200grams in a 200mm x 200mm box from one of the marine places there via UPS cost me $91 Delivery

God knows what a heavy china dunny would cost

Quote:
However, that price IS without any of the "bells and whistles" that make it a REALLY neat toilet...to get those you'd have to add a couple hundred more...but STILL a bargain for you.
So that'll get it up around the $600 mark
plus several hundred in freight and insurance

And anything over $1000 including freight, gets savaged by Australian customs with more taxes.

Thanks but no thanks
Back to the TMC Electric Luxury Marine Toilet 12 Volt for under $400

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43   #14
Marine Service Provider

Fwiw, there is a Raritan distributor in OZ...they have several locations...Queensland would be the one closest to you:

Queensland
Unit 1/14 Hopper Ave.
Yatala 4207
Queensland
Australia
Contact Person: Mr. David Tanner
Tel: (+61) 7 5540 6800

It's worth checking their price...be sure to include the "Smart Flush" panel.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01   #15

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Recommendations for Electric Head for Jeanneau 43DS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I have to say though that adding an electric system to a formerly hand pump head is not a great idea. My husband put one in for a surprise for me but when I tried it, it was SO loud it about scared the $&! out of me!! It came back off the next day. 

After a few months of electric head use on our new to us boat, both me and the mate decided we wanted to go back to manual, it's so much quieter on the boat now. We never had a problem, just the noise was enough. It seemed unnatural on a sailboat...I know, I'm a throwback. I just wish I could have replaced it with a Clipper, I almost took it off the old boat, but that wouldn't have been right either.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, jeanneau