Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2017, 09:39   #1

Recognize this plumbing piece?

On the head supply side I have this plumbing fixture that's leaking out of the hose barb. I'd like to replace it but I'm not sure what it is. Check valve, strainer, anti siphon? Anyone recognize it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	147790
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 10:18   #2

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Re: Recognize this plumbing piece?

what happens if you unscrew the top cap? if there's a mesh basket that comes out, probably is a strainer. (i would close the seacock before messing with it though.)
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

It's one of those inline chemical cartridges that claim to be the ultimate solution to "head" odor, but actually accomplish little if anything and can react negatively with holding tank products. You remove the cap to refill it (which inevitably results in a mess that stains everything around it blue or green or whatever color is in the powder). I'd get rid of it and replace the whole inlet line, some of which should be replaced anyway 'cuz it appears to be corrugated hose, which shouldn't ever be used in a sanitation system. Shields or Trident #148, 3/4" will be just fine for head inlet and doesn't cost much.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 17:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuss View Post
On the head supply side I have this plumbing fixture that's leaking out of the hose barb. I'd like to replace it but I'm not sure what it is. Check valve, strainer, anti siphon? Anyone recognize it?

Attachment 147790
That is a very old and somewhat deteriorated "EarthSafe" dispenser. The device came out in the late 1980's and was intended to dispense an"enzymatic waste treatment material" into the raw water intake for one's heads. Tablets of the material were inserted into the chamber at the mid-section and, in theory, dissolved as raw water was drawn through the device. Other than turning the raw water a somewhat pleasing "blue" to a lesser or greater extent, they proved to be pretty worthless although they were not inexpensive, nor were the "Enzyme Tablets" one needed to use with them. I suggest you pull the thing out of your circuit and replace with a hose junction fitting. BTDT...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:07   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

svHyLyte is exactly correct on that fitting. We used one aboard our C&C for years and never had any trouble. However it's plastic and doesn't last forever. The tablets do work to keep odor down. We rigged a tap to back-flush the system with clean water. The tablets are expensive and can be found at West marine. We found that one tablet would last about one month of weekend sailing, and about one week of continuous sailing.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:25   #6

Ah, I never would have guessed! I'll just eliminate it (or replace it with a raw water strainer) as well as replace the bad section of hose then. Thanks everyone!
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 18:03   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Or you could fill it with yogurt!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 18:33   #8

As above comments....

My previous boat had one, as far as I could tell it was nothing but another snake oil product so ditched it....

032S34 HEAD TREATMENT SYSTEM

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 19:05   #9

Boat: Able 50

On the other hand, having a head smelling of snake oil might help keep the rats away.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 19:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuss View Post
I'll just eliminate it (or replace it with a raw water strainer) as well as replace the bad section of hose then. Thanks everyone!
A strainer has to be close to the thru-hull to catch anything before it can get stuck in the inlet line to die, decay and stink...and I don't think that gadget is. And as for replacing just the bad section of inlet hose, that's like replacing only one shoe. You have no idea whether salt and sea water minerals have built up in it...3/4" #148 flex PVC is cheap enough...replace the whole inlet line!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing