Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 02:27   #1

re-designing my bilge pumps #1

30' motor sailor, coastal cruising. My wheel house, small cabin, and cockpit all have bulkheads. After watching my hero Leonardo in Titanic (Director's Cut) I realized maybe I should address the fact my bulkheads are strong but not very water tight. My idea is in the event of hull breech (iceberg in San Diego?) it'd be wise to isolate the area to some greater degree and have dedicated bilge pump for each bulkheaded area. Starting with the cabin, here's a photo of bulkhead. In the event of significant ingress of wet stuff Should I proactively reduce that opening to buy time? Screw on a piece of ply to create an opening just adequate for the wires to pass? Seal it completely? It's not a big boat and everything aft of that bulkhead is critical. Engine, batteries, Espresso machine. Am I overthinking this? Age and perhaps insanity have me running through endless "what if" scenarios. I'm wondering if I've entered a mental space akin to hoarders. I'm not new to boats but clearly not at the experience level of some of the folks here. Advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211024_175655513.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	247398  
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2021, 03:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: re-designing my bilge pumps #1

I built three different bilge areas into my boat, with the same thought as you, though it was easier for me with a new build. It's not an unreasonable thing to do, especially if you can isolate the area with most through-hulls from the rest of the boat.
Any boat I build in future will also have watertight bulkheads and separate bilges.
You could re-do the wire runs to go though bulkheads higher up, maybe just under the deck, and so be able to seal things off lower down where it really matters.
Old 26-10-2021, 05:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

My boat has three bulkheads and four compartments. Each has its own pump and warning light on the panel. The quick and easy way to seal those holes is spray rigid insulating foam. Don't overdo it, and you can break it up or dig through it later if you need to.

It is through day dreaming about horrible scenarios that threaten the coffee maker that we design safety into our boats.
Old 26-10-2021, 10:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
My boat has three bulkheads and four compartments. Each has its own pump and warning light on the panel. The quick and easy way to seal those holes is spray rigid insulating foam. Don't overdo it, and you can break it up or dig through it later if you need to.

It is through day dreaming about horrible scenarios that threaten the coffee maker that we design safety into our boats.
Attaching an idiot light is something I thought I'd came up with on my own and no one else knew that trick. Turns out I'm late to the game. Everyone does it. I was thinking of using this foam https://www.amazon.com/FOAM-SELANT-B...40823641&psc=1
Old 26-10-2021, 11:01   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Most small boats cannot stay afloat with any major area flooded.

In a situation with major inflows most electric bulge pumps are useless. You will be abandoning the boat sooner or later.

I would therefore focus more on not creating large holes in the hull then rigging up multiple bulge pumps.
Old 26-10-2021, 15:45   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I agree that trying for proper watertight compartments isn't easy or terribly effective on most smaller boats. I'd focus more on making sure you've got plenty of pumping capacity. 1 small pump mounted as low as possible in every bilge area. Then a second large pump mounted (including the switch) a bit higher to handle any large water ingress.

Allow for a reasonable real world de-rating of each pump based on the hose run, etc. Figure that realistically you'll get somewhere around 50 - 60% of nameplate rating for an as-installed pumping capacity.

Personally, I like to have enough pump capacity that a total failure of the largest / deepest underwater fitting won't overwhelm the pumps, providing plenty of time to find and mitigate a problem. Of course, a significant hull breach will always be an issue, but there's only so much you can do.

Don't forget, smaller boats need relatively larger pumping capacity (compared to maximum possible ingress), as the amount of accumulated water required to get you in serious trouble is less.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 10:33   #7

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

My forward and aft bulkheads are water tight with a hose and valve that drains into the main sump if needed. The valve stays closed until needed.

I like this system because it only has one system with bilge pump. On my boat, I would need 6 bilge pumps if all the compartments were completely sealed. I have 2 bilge pumps, one in each hull.

I also have a residential sump pump with 2" hose in case of emergency with Honda generator.

I recommend glassing in hole with hose and valve to main bilge.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 12:48   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I can see by that axe you are the proactive type, good thinking. There was a video on YouTube showing measures to stem a breach in a pleasurecraft hull. They were pretty damn effective, at least until you could get hauled. Something to keep in mind with other suggested measures.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 23:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I can see by that axe you are the proactive type, good thinking. There was a video on YouTube showing measures to stem a breach in a pleasurecraft hull. They were pretty damn effective, at least until you could get hauled. Something to keep in mind with other suggested measures.
Thanks, retired Firefighter. A big part of that job is what ifs. Pick head ax is an amazing tool. The one in the jpg is hatchet size. Swinging a full sized pickhead with both hands isn't always feasible on boat
Old 28-10-2021, 13:05   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
30' motor sailor, coastal cruising. My wheel house, small cabin, and cockpit all have bulkheads. After watching my hero Leonardo in Titanic (Director's Cut) I realized maybe I should address the fact my bulkheads are strong but not very water tight. My idea is in the event of hull breech (iceberg in San Diego?) it'd be wise to isolate the area to some greater degree and have dedicated bilge pump for each bulkheaded area. Starting with the cabin, here's a photo of bulkhead. In the event of significant ingress of wet stuff Should I proactively reduce that opening to buy time? Screw on a piece of ply to create an opening just adequate for the wires to pass? Seal it completely? It's not a big boat and everything aft of that bulkhead is critical. Engine, batteries, Espresso machine. Am I overthinking this? Age and perhaps insanity have me running through endless "what if" scenarios. I'm wondering if I've entered a mental space akin to hoarders. I'm not new to boats but clearly not at the experience level of some of the folks here. Advice appreciated.
Reroute those items higher to buy time, seal up the hole with expanding foam at the most basic level.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, pump, bilge pump