Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 10:18   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Raritan PHII shaft seal doesn't (seal)

From an older thread, starting over due to age and (added) new question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

(Minor clips to original followup 5 years ago, to another poster, as not relevant here)

The flat side of the seal goes up, or into the fitting on the top of the pump cylinder through which the piston rod passes with the open end of the seal--that with the round spring assembly--facing into the body of the cylinder. It also helps to lubricate the rod with a little non-petroleum based lubricant and completely cover the seal spring with teflon grease.

FWIW...
I have the exact same issue - newly (NIBag parts) installed O ring and seal, pointy end down, well lubricated shaft - and yet, water coming out between the shaft and the nut which holds the other two parts down.

This was installed in a new housing; the previous one had a severe crack, so I got a housing and rebuilt the pump section (plate wiper, shaft seal and nut plus O-ring.

Installation instructions say to tighten only to Xin-lbs as the O-ring will distort. I confirm that, using only my hand and the requisite deep socket, as the O-ring tries to loop out. Releasing and starting over to just before said deformation is not sufficient to prevent active leakage (not a drop or two) on the upstroke when filling.

I also see no indication, nor was there one in the sealed parts bag of the replacement nut/seal/O-ring, of a spring. Where does this spring go, and, is there a part number I'm missing, somehow?

One may buy just the compression washer (albeit at over $10!!!!), but as the one in there is new, that's a bit questionable. Could I be doing something wrong?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raritan, shaft seal