Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2022, 14:33   #1

Boat: Ericson 38-200 38'
Raritan Joker valve leaking

I recently overhauled my Raritan head. Replaced a a few valves including the joker valve. Reassembled everything carefully, but every time I flush, water leaks at the joker valve assembly (a lot...not just a drip). The assembly at the joker valve doesn't appear to have a flange or gasket that seals the connection point, but I tightened it first moderately and it leaked, then overtightened it and its still leaking.

Any ideas for me to try? Is it related to the amount of torque on 9/16's bolts, am I missing a gasket of some kind?

Thanks so much.

sojourner16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 15:41   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Raritan Joker valve leaking

I've recently rebuilt my PHII following the guidance in this video with good results. No yoker valve leaks.

I hope it helps.
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 16:11   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner16 View Post
I recently overhauled my Raritan head. Replaced a a few valves including the joker valve. Reassembled everything carefully, but every time I flush, water leaks at the joker valve assembly (a lot...not just a drip). The assembly at the joker valve doesn't appear to have a flange or gasket that seals the connection point, but I tightened it first moderately and it leaked, then overtightened it and its still leaking.

Any ideas for me to try? Is it related to the amount of torque on 9/16's bolts, am I missing a gasket of some kind?

Thanks so much.

The gasket is the rubber flange on the joker valve. It fits in a recess on the discharge flange, but should stand proud until you compress the connection. Be sure that you have thoroughly cleaned the uric acid crystals from the surfaces and that the slit in the joker valve is vertical. If there are 3 slits in the joker valve, someone has sold you the wrong valve.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 17:20   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423

On my manual jabsco it is important to remove the outlet hose from the joker assembly first. Then install the new joker and tighten it down evenly on each screw. Finally put the outlet hose back on. I was skeptical when advised on this but it made all the difference. Your raritan may or may not need a similar approach.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 18:01   #5

Boat: Trlåren 31

Is it possible that you put the discharge flange that donradcliffe referred to on backwards?
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

The flange on a joker is the gasket that seals the discharge fitting connection to the pump. Because people are so determined to make sure that connection can't leak, they tighten the screws/bolts down as tight as possible...which is the wrong thing to do because that CAUSES the connection leak. Over-tightening screws or bolts through soft rubber puts a puts pucker in the rubber around the screw/bolt. So start by tightening each one barely snug...flush to check for a leak. If you have one, tighten each one just a quarter turn more...repeat until you no longer have a leak.

The bad news is...if it's been leaking for several days, those "puckers" may have developed a memory that prevents the flange from regaining its original flat shape...in which case, the only cure is another new joker valve (ouch!)

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raritan