Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 10:34   #31

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by exranger View Post
Aren't those airhead heads expensive??
Yes, they are expensive. I installed one in a small trimaran where both space and weight were issues. I also put it up higher on a box, that served to both elevated it, and create room for a gravity -fed holding tank. For me, the cost was worth it in that situation, but it's not what I would choose for larger cruising vessel.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:03   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
For me, the cost was worth it in that situation, but it's not what I would choose for larger cruising vessel.
Pray tell,

What would you consider a better head?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:44   #33

Oops need new glasses I read that as Raising the DEAD!!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:00   #34

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
How about Praising the Head?
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 13:57   #35

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Pray tell,

What would you consider a better head?
Therapy, my point was not that I'd buy a"better" head for a larger monohull. My point is the reasons I felt justified in paying more for an airhead composting head are not concerns for me when ocean cruising on a larger monohull.

For me, spending more for a composting head on a small trimaran was worth it because that boat had little space and was greatly affected by weight. My cruises were also often shorter, so I'd return before the composting bin was full and could let it complete the composting process without having to deal with half composted waste.

My present monohull has the room for a larger holding tank and the weight does not adversely affect boat performance. I cruise in areas where there are many opportunities to appropriately and legally dump the holding tank. The holding tank can be emptied overboard with a simple gravity feed system requiring no pumping. Simply opening a valve drains the tank. Closing the valve means all waste automatically accumulates in the tank. Leaving it open means everything discharges directly overboard. I don't think this is necessarily a better head, than the airhead, but rather given different circumstances than I have before it's a better choice.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 14:59   #36

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Got it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais